I Forge Iron

Making room for a tire hammer.

I am interested in taking the next step in installing a hammer in my hobby shop.  I have a 10'X16' space. I'm thinking of placing it in the corner where my anvils are now(lower left corner).  I installed 220v power there already.  Move the metal/tool storage out and put the anvils there and move the tools to the right(as looking at the picture, lower right corner) of the forge.  I would appreciate your insight as I'd like to cut the floor out and make a deep concrete block under where the hammer will go.  I REALLY only want to do this once.

shop layout.png

I'm sorry but I don't get that.  You do plan to work with steel correct?  So why would sheet steel walls prevent you from putting in a "window"?  I'd lay it out on the wall and then put on my hearing protectors and fire up the sawzall.  Punt a nice rim around it and make a pretty forged grill on the outside that flips up.

I like the idea but that side of the shop faces my neighbors. I installed insulation in the walls and have dense shrubs growing between our property. If I open the wall up, the noise will put me out of commission. Kind of the reason I built the shop I  the first place. You did point out something though. With the hammer positioned centered and 3' off the 9 o'clock wall I could work bigger pieces. 

Think of putting in a ships porthole to pass long stock through. Decorative, small, and should not let a lot of noise out. You could cover the hole with carpet with a slit in the carpet to pass the steel through when in use, if your concerned about noise.

Suggest you build a box (did I just say that?) the size and height of the power hammer. Place the box where you are thinking about placing the power hammer and see if it fits the space. Go as far as paint the end of the stock you will use bright yellow and try to *use* the hammer. This should help in the final position of the actual hammer.