I Forge Iron

Help me design the best outdoor backyard forge in Canada for less then 1000$

Hello, so july 1st next year in Calgary Alberta Canada I want to design and build a outdoor shop for less then $1000.00 Canadian. The only trouble is I don't know where to start. I have read a couple blacksmithing books from Amazons kindle unlimited but that's the extent of my knowledge on blacksmithing. I just really want to do something I love to do and I need help. Any advise or tricks/ tips or where to buy them or the cheapest/best; propane forge, anvil, tools, grinders, etc 

really anything you say wouldn't hurt 

Welcome to IFI!

Couple of pointers:

1. Put your location in your profile so that it shows under your avatar. You can do this in Settings. Knowing where you are often makes a BIG difference in how we answer your question.

2. Before asking any question, do your research! There is a HUGE amount of information on IFI, and almost any question you can think of has probably been asked before. Learning how to navigate the forum to find the answers you need is an important skill in its own right. (Pro tip: the pinned posts at the top of each subsection are always informative and helpful.)

(2a. A word of warning: some of the most knowledgeable members of IFI are also some of the crankiest curmudgeons you'll ever hope to meet, and they are sick to death of having to answer the same uninformed basic questions time and time again. Everyone here is a volunteer, and you have the chance to get solid, practical advice from smiths with all manner of experience and skill. Respect their time and expertise.)

3. When you do ask a question, be specific. The only thing we know about what you want to do is that you want an outdoor shop for less than $1000 Canadian. That's way too vague. What kind of work do you want to do? What equipment do you already have? Why outdoors? And so on. 

I'd suggest that you're asking this question in the wrong place. Given what you say about your level of knowledge, don't think about a shop; think about how to develop your skill. Don't get sucked into the "I've got to have all the right equipment to get started" -- there are people here who have forged iron with a couple of rocks after heating it in a fire pit. Read the threads on getting started in blacksmithing, on how to acquire an anvil or improvise one out of scrap, on different kinds of forges, and so on. See if you can find classes in your area or a local blacksmith's association. You'll learn more in a day of classes than you will in a month of reading.

Now, go read the thread at http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/23500-what-do-you-need-to-get-started-in-blacksmithing/!

JHCC is right, RESEARCH  here in IFI and everywhere else, you can think of, visit museums with shops, the "PERFECT SHOP" is an combination of ideas from many others.  My idea will certainly be different than yours with climate, weather patterns, zoning laws, as JCHH says what are you going to do with it, what do you have to work with for construction skills. 

Might look up on Amazon the "Perfect Outdoor Blacksmith Shop" they seem to advertise everything else.  Many  years ago you could buy houses and barns from SEARS presume a shop was available as well.  One would think in todays "I Want It Now" life they  would have them BUT it would cost more than $1,000 in any $s I'm sure. 

As they say get a comfortable chair a few drinks and lunch made and start in Shops here on IFI and go to it if you don't find it branch out.  Try  Historical Societies in your general area and see what they might have for pictures of old shops that are long gone amazing what you can see.   

I was 30 yrs planning my perfect shop and guess what? it's too small already!  I've worked in 6 different shops over the years, I knew what size I wanted but $$$$ got in the way so it became what I could afford.  $$$ limits can certainly slow down Perfect so I'm happy to have what I have, more than I did and more than many others have, I'm Happy!

JHCC has solid advice, so give us some more detailes. I can come up with a usable kit for less than $100 with out scrounging much, and even get a roof and wind break for less than $500. Again with out seeking salvage and found items. 

Look at the tools your doc uses to sew you up, forged stainless from Pakistan, swords from the Viking era...

both forged on what amount to a large sledge hammer head. I routinely shoe horses with an anvil with a face not much larger than my hand, and heat 1 1/4" inch spring stock in a box of dirt...

give me a bit more idea what your expectations are, but first take a suggestion, build a dirt cheep kit so you can start forging now, wile you shop around for the kit you want. 

20 minutes ago, notownkid said:

Might look up on Amazon the "Perfect Outdoor Blacksmith Shop" they seem to advertise everything else. 

No, don't do that; for some reason, it only returns garden tools, pocket knives, and throw pillows.

Perfect shop ?? Depends on who you ask. There have been suggestions that an aircrafthanger that you can pull a 747 jet into and close the doors is still a bit small. And there are those that work under a shade tree, outside, in the weather. Others do not have a shade tree and still do excellent work.

One thing for sure. grab a lunch and a cold drink and start reading what interests you on IForgeIron. On the first weekend, go out find a fuel that is available in your area and build a forge to use that fuel. This way, within 4 hours or less, you can be playing in a fire. It will not be the perfect forge but will allow you to take what you learn to a forge and practice. From there you can build a better forge to better fit your needs.

Researching what interests YOU is the best way to get started. Find a blacksmithing group or organization in YOUR area and go to the meetings. They have the knowledge and tools to take you to the next level. But please do some research so you at least understand the words they use when answering your questions. It shows then that your interested, and goes a long way in getting better information.

Get yourself a YouTube account and start watching blacksmithing videos.  Subscribe to every smith's channel you can find.  You will se examples of every tool, forge and setting you can imagine.  Take what you see and decide what is possible for you.  In the interim you can start shopping at lawn sales and flea markets for hammers, chisels and other small tools.

Plus, follow the advice that was already given.  They haven't been wrong yet!

JHCC, it cracks me up that you tried that search...

However, there are a few articles and YouTube videos about the things you need to starts forging.  Though, none of them are specific to one person's goals.

Well, not every channel you can find. There are people out there doing some really stupid stuff and putting it on YouTube!

I put together a collection of blacksmithing links a little while back. It's not comprehensive, but it's a good starting place. 

7 minutes ago, Lou L said:

JHCC, it cracks me up that you tried that search...

It only works if you take off the quotation marks. 

14 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Well, not every channel you can find. There are people out there doing some really stupid stuff and putting it on YouTube!

I put together a collection of blacksmithing links a little while back. It's not comprehensive, but it's a good starting place. 

It only works if you take off the quotation marks. 

I was going to link to your excellent post of YouTube blacksmiths because I read it a while back; however, I had no capacity to look for it being that it is late and I'm tired.

Use caution viewing YouTube as anyone with a camera on a cell phone can make a video. No all the information is correct and some of the information can get you injured or killed. Once posted there is no way to correct any misinformation.

The links JHCC put together are good information by folks that know what they are doing.