I Forge Iron

New History Channel Blacksmithing program.

I just saw a trailer for "Milwaukee Blacksmith" coming up 08/23/16. A web search turned up some more info about the business and a bit about the upcoming program. Is Kent Knapp one of the Iforge gang? If so, care to give us a foretaste of what's to come, provided it wouldn't violate a contract of course.

Forged in Fire is up for another season starting soon. I have my fingers crossed the new program is a little more real than reality shows and hoping FIF is continuing to improve.

Frosty The Lucky.

One show I won't mention by name last night on History said the guy forging a knife had to get the metal to 3000 f for forging and 3500 f for welding--twice.

Just a reminder that one needs to take these shows with a grain of salt.

3 hours ago, Kozzy said:

One show I won't mention by name last night on History said the guy forging a knife had to get the metal to 3000 f for forging and 3500 f for welding--twice.

Just a reminder that one needs to take these shows with a grain of salt.

Ah yes, talking heads reading material written by someone under directions to make things more dramatic by bumping a number. Really, how much difference can one number make?

Was watching a "reality:rolleyes:" show about living above the arctic circle, a couple years ago I think. The talking head was telling us in most dramatic terms how much fuel it would take  to make it to spring when winter temperatures were routinely 40 below zero Kelvin. Once that caught my attention I started paying some slight attention and noticed how often winter temperatures are below zero Kelvin up here,  right here in Wasilla even! No wonder our fuel bill was high that winter.

Frosty The Lucky.

I saw the ad the other day and don't hold out much hope for the show.  While the crew running the shop is certainly very capable, reality TV is what it is and I have no doubt that they'll script it to be more about the beer drinking and social life of the people rather than the actual work they're doing.  Good on those guys as I'm sure they'll get paid better for acting on the show than they could ever hope to bring in as smiths. 

I have my fingers crossed hoping it won't be a foolish mess like "Iron and Fire". I scanned Milwaukee Blacksmith's website and they look legit with a gallery showing good product and they run a blacksmithing school. Like I say I have my fingers crossed but I'm afraid Vaughn is more right than wrong.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wouldn't you know it,  get home from a dump run where I'd made a good contact waiting in the long line. so, I get home kind of pooped and hit my chair with a glass of iced tea and do a channel search. Not much but the Woodright's shop on PBS so I tune in. Lots of bowl adze work in spite of Roy's chatter. It's over so I open the guide to do a channel check and happen to do a quick scan of the next program, Craftsman'sLegacy and low and BEHOLD "armor maker" catches my eye and I watch it.

This is NOT a reality show, the host travels around visiting folk who make things with their hands and is enough of a hands on guy he does pretty darned well taking a lesson. He's NOT a talking head, he knew that a Beverly shear is an open throated shear and even asked it's size :o ! After watching today's offering I exercised my Yahoo Fu, (still seems to be working in spite of Verison ownership.) I searched out the Craftsman'sLegacy web site and just finished watching a season 1 episode with Lorelei Sims.

Just be aware, this episode contained actual blacksmithing as the MAIN FEATURE! A little normal interview stuff, you know, "how'd you get into it, why do you do it, etc. followed by personal story." Then it was off to the shop for honest to goodness blacksmithing! No, it's not all blacksmithing, armor making, etc. Eric Gorges interviews lots of different craftsmen and women.

Thought folk might like it.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've watched Craftsman's Legacy several times and always enjoy it.  I think it has the same problem you see on the Woodwright's Shop in that there just isn't enough time for it.  Everything's either rushed or cut short in editing to fill the 22-minute time allotment for television.

It's definitely head and shoulders better than any of the reality shows, including Forged in Fire, and I highly recommend tuning in if you like seeing how things are done by hand.

• 1 month later...

It's been about 6 weeks since anyone commented on the current round of "heat it and beat it" shows.

So I'll offer my impressions .....

The Milwaukee crew have proven to be essentially ornamental iron workers.

Which is OK, ... but not particularly interesting to me personally.

While the "Make a Big Honkin' Knife" show, has generally improved the quality of it's "contestants", ... and their products.

( The first season left a LOT of room for improvement. )

It's still a very one dimensional view of the Blacksmiths craft, ... and obviously aimed at a narrow target audience.

I haven't run across the "Legacy" show anywhere on my local cable, ... but was happy with what I've seen on the internet.

Saw an episode of the Milwaukee one on U tube yesterday. Didnt look to bad, better than the only other thing on offer at the moment, "Iron and Fire", which is more about about shooting muskets and good 'ol boy livin' than showing much black  smithing actually going on. It still holds my attention though.

We have only just had Forged in Fire series 2 finish, so no doubt will be a while before we get a look at this new season 3 you blokes are discussing.

But it sure makes a nice change from the Wife's endless property "do em up and flog em" shows which showcases the dodgy elements within the building industry.

2 hours ago, Jackdawg said:

it sure makes a nice change from the Wife's endless property "do em up and flog em" shows which showcases the dodgy elements within the building industry.

Amen, ... I hear ya .....

I do take a bit of comfort, from learning that in that sense, my beloved "Patrish" is no crazier than the rest of her species.

3 hours ago, arkie said:

MB is nothing more than a metal fab shop show...very little, if any, blacksmithing...'jus my 2c worth.

Oh I don't know, what little blacksmithing I've seen was darned well done, the forge work done on the balcony railing was quite nice. There just isn't much drama in watching someone taper bend and scroll a hundred or more pickets. Sure they do fab work, that's as traditionally "blacksmith" as it gets, they do whatever comes in the door by the most efficient and cost effective means they have.

The "down to the wire" times and dire budget issues are as bad as the contrived drama. No company that's been in business long operates so silly tight a margin, that's the producer and writer's hand in the show. Like you couldn't find a motor capacitor in Milwaukee or just buy a replacement motor till THE part came in, oh PU-LEEEEEEZ!

Frosty The Lucky.

I gave up on MB after the second episode.  Simply put, whether it's scripted or not, I think folks should have more dignity than that.  Putting your family into the limelight to showcase your craft is a good thing, but then to allow your family to be portrayed in a negative light for all the world to see..... nope.  My personal belief, sure, but not something I'm comfortable watching and therefore condoning to some degree.  That young son would have been fired the instant he mouthed off and got off the forklift.  Period.  End of story.  And there's no coming back just because the forklift "miraculously" malfunctioned and he seems to be the only one capable of fixing it.

Overall, what little fabrication and smithing they are doing is not nearly enough to overcome the negatives of the scripting.  No father, in my opinion, should allow his family to be shown like that, even if it is truly how they are.  Airing dirty laundry, or acting unprofessional, for the whole world to see is simply a no-go for me.

FIF is still watchable, but I prefer to record it so I can fast forward through all the garbage.  I can usually winnow it down to 10 minutes of quality viewing, and that's mostly the last portion when they're at their home shop and working to win the big money.  

3 hours ago, VaughnT said:

working to win the big money.  

Or, in their case, ... the moderate-sized money.  ;)

---------------------------------------------------

As with most of the other "reality" shows, ... I feel the gratuitous personal "drama" directly reflects the producers disdain for working-class people.

And yes, ... silly story lines, that treat minor equipment failures as major disasters, is insulting to your intelligence, ... but clearly indicative of the attitudes and mind-set of the writers.

Generally, I'm much better entertained, watching the Brooks Falls "BearCams".

( I've even given some of them names. )

3 hours ago, SmoothBore said:

As with most of the other "reality" shows, ... I feel the gratuitous personal "drama" directly reflects the producers disdain for working-class people.

And yes, ... silly story lines, that treat minor equipment failures as major disasters, is insulting to your intelligence, ... but clearly indicative of the attitudes and mind-set of the writers.

I'm inclined to agree. As far as the rules of political correctness go, it's always open season on working class and/or white trash types for entertainment value. I for one choose not to help perpetuate that stereotype or support it monetarily.

Am wondering why the most popular shows anymore are all about watching people work for a living? Has that become such a rare occurrence in this country that people are fascinated to see it?

George

36 minutes ago, George Geist said:

Am wondering why the most popular shows anymore are all about watching people work for a living? Has that become such a rare occurrence in this country that people are fascinated to see it?

George

Short answer, yes. I have people at work that spend more time and effort trying to do as little work as possible than they would if they actually didn't their job. I've seen it at a number of places.

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Like you couldn't find a motor capacitor in Milwaukee or just buy a replacement motor till THE part came in, oh PU-LEEEEEEZ!

Frosty The Lucky.

I told my wife that as a responsible business owner I would think there should be a spare part for most everything that could break at the worst possible time. Replacement torch tips grinding rocks belts etc.

3 hours ago, SmoothBore said:

I would agree with that wholeheartedly.  These hollywood types don't have much respect for anything outside of their own little world, but I just can't understand how someone that is outside that little world could so easily be persuaded into selling their reputation and dignity.  

1 hour ago, George Geist said:

I'm inclined to agree. As far as the rules of political correctness go, it's always open season on working class and/or white trash types for entertainment value. I for one choose not to help perpetuate that stereotype or support it monetarily.

Yep.  I've been seeing that a lot on commercials now, too, and it doesn't have to even be the 'trash' portion.

Personally, I'm getting more and more into watching youtube videos.  With people like 'workingwithiron' 'Rowan Taylor' and 'Joshua De Lisle' doing beautiful videos that actually teach, I get quality content without commercial breaks, proselytizing, false drama and the like.

1 hour ago, Michael Cochran said:

Short answer, yes. I have people at work that spend more time and effort trying to do as little work as possible than they would if they actually didn't their job. I've seen it at a number of places.

I can't help but wonder just by the traffic on the road. During the workweek all day? Then all night long too? Doesn't anybody have jobs to be at? Does anybody work anymore? Is it just me that wonders this stuff?

George

I used to wonder, then when I realized I was lost I quit. :) I have been curious myself how there's so much traffic in the small city next to me no matter the time of day. I used to have to make a run just to get that one thing we needed to finish a job on occasion and there's steady traffic from 5 am until midnight and even after that there's more traffic then an you'd expect. Of course if you follow the traffic lots of if is people passing threw or people going to w mart.

15 hours ago, George Geist said:

George

"I love work! I can look at it for hours!"

Used to be a work.