I Forge Iron

Switchblade mechanism

philip in china

Switchblades-- making, selling, carrying-- are almost totally banned by federal law, which trumps state law. The federal law is, of course, more honored in the breach (they are available in lots of blade mags, on the net, in gas stations in Idaho or maybe it's Washington, I forget), but it can make life extremely unpleasant. See: United States Code
TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
CHAPTER 29 - MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION, OR DISTRIBUTION OF SWITCHBLADE KNIVES
Section 1241. Definitions
Section 1242. Introduction, Manufacture For Introduction, Transportation Or Distribution In Interstate Commerce; Penalty
Section 1243. Manufacture, Sale, Or Possession Within Specific Jurisdictions; Penalty
Section 1244. Exceptions
Section 1245. Ballistic Knives at FindLaw for Legal Professionals - Case Law, Federal and State Resources, Forms, and Code

I do know there are several different mechanisms for switchblades as I had a friend who was into them and made a number of different types. Unfortunately that was about 1500 miles away from here and I don't know what he is doing now.

As I recall he started by buying a cheap one and re-engineering it; then he bought a book on them that had plans for a number of types.

Thank you for your input. They are illegal in UK as well. I have never quite understood the logic. If you are stabbed with a switchblade are you somehow more dead than with an ordinary lock knife? I don't make knives so it was just a purely hypothetical question. I think they are legal here. Certainly they are widely sold.

Switch blades are nothing more than a specifically engineered tool. The idea behind switchblade knives is to allow a person with only one functional hand to be able to use a knife. Also addresses the need of individuals with disabilities of the hand and fingers(insufficient grip strength). I did some research a few years ago and they are legal for persons with said afflictions and Law Enforcement personnel.

There are varying mechanisms for opening, some will open as a folder with a spring assist while others will spring straight out from the hilt. I have models of both but do not like to carry due to the possibility of an inadvertant opening when in a precarious position like a front pocket :o

And yes I do own mine legally.

• 3 months later...
Thank you for your input. They are illegal in UK as well. I have never quite understood the logic. If you are stabbed with a switchblade are you somehow more dead than with an ordinary lock knife? I don't make knives so it was just a purely hypothetical question. I think they are legal here. Certainly they are widely sold.

its mostly just for the opening speed. but in that case, it doesnt make much sense seeing as how a fixed blade in a sheath is always open, but not illegal.

Banning or heavilly restricting switchblades was done in many countries during the 1950s, as apparently many gangs of the time were carrying them. A lot of 'respectable' people panicked after West Side Story and Something Had to be Done. Like many other laws, it didn't have to make sense, it just 'was'.

I once had a Trapper's model made by none other than Schrade back in the 1930's. It was a very large knife and opened to about 9-10 inches overall. I did a little research and was able to determine they marketed it expressly for the sportsman who might be be holding something with one hand and able only to use the other. The spring lock was a bar about 1/4" wide that engaged notches 180 degrees apart. The blade was under tension only when fully closed and if partially opened, could be locked with a flick of the wrist. The blade also had a hole in it where a guard pivoted that lay flat when closed and crossways to the handle when open.

In Texas, they've pretty much banned the open wearing of anything - including lock blades and fixed blades. Law enforcement usually don't hassle law abiding folks with one on their hips but it's illegal nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

Original question was How does a switchblade action work? As far as I can see, it works by violating the federal statute banning the manufacture, sale, carrying and mere possession of these knives. The slick knife mags clogged with ads and covers showing and selling them and the manufacturers of same all seem to glide blithely past this law, but the law is, as far as I know, still on the books, and it trumps any state or local law permitting them such as Idaho seems to have. The federal statute is waiting for some cop looking to make sergeant to throw it at whomever she catches with one. I would appreciate some enlightened comment on howcum this is. Thanks

Well Matt87, in my business law class we reviewed a case where a farmer having a roadside stand selling vegetables was considered to "affect interstate commerce/transfer" in a specific case so certainly companies advertising their wares across numerous states can be construed to as well.

Seems like most of the stuff the Federal Government does nowadays is due to the interstate commerce clause.

May I suggest taking a business law class; very interesting in a sort of horrifying way!

I didn't say it was what happens today... as in many other aspects of US law, the Constitution is often ignored.

Anyway, that's the answer to agsolder's question; the Switchblade Act applies to interstate commerce and federal property, but not intrastate affairs.

matt87-- Seems to me the question of whether state and local law trumps Federal law was settled conclusively in the U.S. some time back around 1864 in something called The Civil War. Misguided demagogues like George Wallace and Lester Maddox and Orval Faubus believed to the contrary and again were proven wrong at gunpoint. Read the statute. You are grievously misinformed and are grievously misinforming the readers of this forum.

Not only does Federal Law trump state and local laws, but a person can be prosecuted for the same instant offense in both jurisdictions.Double jeopardy does not apply, as they are separate jurisdictions. If I'm not mistaken.

Not worth chancing it, IMHO.