I Forge Iron

Tong alternatives

RhysKawka

Just wondering if anyone knows where i could get a pair of tongs for cheap in the UK or at least an equally as good alternative. Currently im using vice pliers but im not having much luck with gripping the metal due to the smaller surface area

Do you have a welder? I welded a box jaw onto my vice grips. I only needed to weld on one jaw. They seem to work pretty well but I do need to tighten the adjusting screw once in a while because they tend to loosen up after a while. I got the idea after seeing this pic on the internet. They seem to be using forged tongs but I used vice grips instead. These tongs are adjustable and that's what sparked my attention. I bet channel locks might also work well but I haven't tried that yet. I do plan on forging a set of tongs but for now my one pair gets me by.

https://www.pinterest.com/luckyacresforge/tongs/

9ba33d47f636579388346f316e6e3ac7.jpg

Tongs are about basic skills, drawing, tapering, punching, etc. tho many claim they are not sutable for a beginner project, as you see from the vidio above its a mater of putting the skills together. If you leave longer "jaws" in the beginning you can draw them out as well, this gives you the material you need to make bolt and universal tongs. 

Might search on Dempsey Twist Tongs to get hits on how to make one of the easiest versions of tongs.  You don't even need tongs to make them! (use stock long enough that you can hold the other end while working it.  Cut to length at the end of the project)

Tongs were the first thing tried to make. After I ditched the rebar I was able to get a pair together, I didn't even rivet them just used a nut and bolt. 1st pair will be ugly, but as long as they function it should be ok, right?

Search technicusjoe on YouTube, he has several videos on how to make tongs from RR spikes

• 2 weeks later...

Bates Tongs are right in the UK and an excellent product.  https://www.facebook.com/jezbates.batestongs

I don't advocate for making tongs if you're new to the trade.  They're safety equipment as much as anything else, and a pair of good tongs that fit the material will make learning the trade orders of magnitude easier. 

Not only does buying your first dozen pairs of tongs help support working blacksmiths, it increases the speed of your learning because you're not always fighting with the things.  

For cheap?  Consider the price for what you're getting.  If you buy v-bit bolt tongs, they'll hold both square and round stock, as well as certain sizes of flat stock.  For example, I have a pair of 1/2" v-bit tongs that I use regularly: they hold 1/2", 3/8" round/square, and 3/4x1/8" flat bar.  That's three pairs of tongs for the price of one pair.  Most any tongs will hold stock that's 1/8" smaller in dimension than their listed sizing.

While you're learning, you will be dealing with a very limited size range in your materials.  90% of your projects will revolve around 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" square or round stock because this is the cheapest stuff and you can make all manner of projects with it.  That's just two pairs of tongs you need because the 1/2" will hold the 3/8".  Box Jaw tongs to hold flat stock are a great addition to the rack, but you're not needing a huge variety of tongs because you won't realistically be working with some incredible range sizes.  

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2016 at 8:42 PM, RhysKawka said:

Just wondering if anyone knows where i could get a pair of tongs for cheap in the UK or at least an equally as good alternative. Currently im using vice pliers but im not having much luck with gripping the metal due to the smaller surface area

I started off on vise grips.  I buy tongs locally but there's a very nice fellow that makes nice tongs

google "GS tongs"

Looks like you got some good advice and direction on finding a set of tongs.

Me, I'm bucking the general advice and making my own. First project since getting my forge tuned and dialed in. I figured it'd be an good lesson in moving the metal in a variety of ways. I chose the Brazeal Ultimate tongs - looked like a great general purpose set. I have one jaw made, now if I can get my belt grinder project finished and get time to fire the forge back up, I'll get the other jaw shaped out.

5 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Looks like you got some good advice and direction on finding a set of tongs.

Me, I'm bucking the general advice and making my own. First project since getting my forge tuned and dialed in. I figured it'd be an good lesson in moving the metal in a variety of ways. I chose the Brazeal Ultimate tongs - looked like a great general purpose set. I have one jaw made, now if I can get my belt grinder project finished and get time to fire the forge back up, I'll get the other jaw shaped out.

Hey John, so you made the brazeal style hammer tongs?

Ive commissioned someone to make them for me. But I want to attempt making a set myself

I've decided that I.prefer to use my hands to be honest, I use some heat resistant gloves I feel as if I get a lot more control out of it, maybe if I was to start forging axes or hammers then yes I'd definitely need some tongs ahah, thank you all so much for the sound advice :)

11 hours ago, RhysKawka said:

I've decided that I.prefer to use my hands to be honest, I use some heat resistant gloves I feel as if I get a lot more control out of it, maybe if I was to start forging axes or hammers then yes I'd definitely need some tongs ahah, thank you all so much for the sound advice :)

Bare hands is always preferable to any kind of holding device you have a better grip and feel for what's going on. NO question, this is true for anybody. You need to be careful using gloves, there are a couple factors that make them dangerous:

First, leather especially can shrink when hot and before you feel it your hand is trapped to get baked as the heat migrates inward.

The second danger to using gloves is the habits they build. You get used to picking things up without thinking, your hands are protected. Right? Well, you can forget and just pick something up bare handed once the habit is established and steel at black heat tends to stick to you like a steak in a dry frying pan. It's not a good thing.

Last for the main dangers of gloves is how they can catch on things and drag you in. Gloves and wire wheels or buffers is a VERY dangerous thing, much better you burn your fingers and pick out little pieces of wire than it is to have one grab a glove and suck you into the wheel! They can catch on an overhead shelf and leave you hanging by one hand.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't wear gloves when necessary just be aware and on the watch for the inherent hazards.

Frosty The Lucky.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:06 PM, Gorō said:

Hey John, so you made the brazeal style hammer tongs?

Ive commissioned someone to make them for me. But I want to attempt making a set myself

It's this type - https://plus.google.com/photos/117030057799529631445/albums/5451920122058541745

I'm just halfway through with them. I have the lower hex shaped jaw finished. Need to get time to make the upper jaw and finish them.

3 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

It's this type - https://plus.google.com/photos/117030057799529631445/albums/5451920122058541745

I'm just halfway through with them. I have the lower hex shaped jaw finished. Need to get time to make the upper jaw and finish them.

The link just goes to an ad for Google so I don't know what kind of tongs you're talking about.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Das, I'm familiar with Brian's tongs and who knows maybe I'll make a pair someday.

I don't know what's up with Google, they started bugging me to make them my home page every time I search. I may have to go back to Yahoo or Verizon or someone else. I don't like ads to start with and if they're designed to block access till you buy something . . . .:angry:

I'll go think happy thoughts now, you saved me.  :)

Frosty The Lucky.