I Forge Iron

Mistery tongs

pdesorm

Hello there,

I am helping the local Colby Curtis museum and Stanstead Historical Society identify and label some blacksmith items. I do mostly small forge projects for fun so my worldly  knowledge is limited.

Any idea what these tongs would have been used for? I've also got a similar set at home.

Thanks.

IMG_3948.JPG

Welcome aboard. I LOVE typos, I THINK you meant "hellO" there rather than what you submitted. I'm not even going to twit you about this being a family oriented forum I'll just remember your new forum web handle. :lol:

That's obviously purpose made, do you know where it came from? Without more details it has features of a side jaw bits to hold long stock inwards from the end. The pin looking feature on that jaw makes me think it holds or acts as a stop for say a part that's generally wide and flat with a hole to index to or from. The other jaws appear to contact a wide surface.

That's all just speculation from a single picture. Can you post a pic end on from the jaws and one from the top say rotated towards the anvil stake?

Very cool tongs they'll look great on display a little back story would top the cupcake.

Frosty The Lucky.

Similar but not identical?  Tongs with the ends canted inwards were often used for holding the eyes of hammers and axes; but those are different and look to have been custom made for a specific job that smith did a lot of; as such the original smith may have taken the secret with him. and Tongs, special use, 1 ea may be what they are listed as.

HELLO....there got that covered! Copy-check said that hell was good also.

Thanks for the responses. I won't be back at the museum until next week but will get some close up shots and maybe a few of the one I have at home.

I love a mystery!

Phil.

Been a few years since I went thru Stanstead, but it's beautiful country and if there is a good smithing display at a local museum I'll have to put a side trip on the list!

Like Thomas my first reaction was hammer head holding tongs, but the extra bits...who knows.  Given the local geography felling, ice and woodworking axes, quarryman's tools, farm implements;  no end to hand tools with an eye that a local smith might have to make a lot of.

6 hours ago, pdesorm said:

HELLO....there got that covered! Copy-check said that hell was good also.

Thanks for the responses. I won't be back at the museum until next week but will get some close up shots and maybe a few of the one I have at home.

I love a mystery!

Phil.

Phil? When I read the subject I thought you were Miss Tery.  Boy, I'm having a little bit of a creeped out moment thinking of loving a Miss Tery. :o

Welcome aboard Phil, having fun yet? I love puns, typos and straight lines. Just so you  know. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

The Smithsonian Institution, (in Washington), has a "department" dedicated to determining the identity and use of obscure tools . Google them and send them your pictures of the tongs. If they help you, please let us know what the tool is used for. I am certain it is not used for tonsillectomies. Too big, way too big.

That department has pictures of tools that have mystified them. Perhaps some of us smiths can help them too.

Regards,

SLAG.

does the peg on one rein fit between the two prongs on the other rein when the reins are closed together?

Mr. DesOrm.,

Permit me to hazard a guess as to the tong's function. I think the prongs at the end of both reins are fashioned to grasp the edges of a band of steel, and the flange tab situated further up the one rein is a follower that grasps the edge at the end of a circular object such as the top and bottom of a cylindrical object such as a barrel. Check out the flange of a hand operated can opener. A smith or cooper could follow the curve while bending the hot strap, pull it off when then the metal was bent then join the two ends together, let the metal cool and fit the hoop onto the barrel and hammer it down to snugly seat the hoop on the barrel staves.

SLAG.

Stanstead Quebec is not far from the Shelburne, Vermont museum. That museum has a very large collection of old tools, including blacksmithing tools. They published at least one well illustrated book on the subject. Check their website &, also, perhaps one of the I. F. I. smiths can check that reference for it. My book is presently in storage.

Salut,

SLAG.

On 7/19/2016 at 2:54 PM, pdesorm said:

Hello there,

I am helping the local Colby Curtis museum and Stanstead Historical Society identify and label some blacksmith items. I do mostly small forge projects for fun so my worldly  knowledge is limited.

Any idea what these tongs would have been used for? I've also got a similar set at home.

Thanks.

IMG_3948.JPG

They look like some sort of crucible holder to me. Flip them over, prongs go in slot in crucible, angle piece forms a shelf for the bottom for the crucible. OR...some sort of dentistry torture device...or maybe both!

Her are a few more photos. They appear to have cylindrical tips, like maybe they were inserted into something and served as a sort of axle? I wonder if these "pegs" were inserted in to something and as the tool pivoted, the angled stub caused the work to bend around? The third photo is of another pair from the same place that are similar, but have the angled "shelf" reversed on the other side. The museum also had a half dozen vintage fireplace tongs with the blacksmith stuff. I suggested they put those with the household fireplace stuff!

Phil.

IMG_4045.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4048.JPG

3 hours ago, pdesorm said:

HERE.. not her.. I've really have to copy check.. I used to work at a newspaper!

You're ASKING for a response with such great straight lines you know. I mean REALLY a juicy typo in every post from an EX newspaper employee? . . .NOOO! :o

It's looking more like hammer tongs or something similar.

Frosty The :lol::lol::lol::lol: .

Frosty The Lucky.