I Forge Iron

something i've been working

1 minute ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Nice start.  I like your forehead protectors (grin).  Your anvil looks painfully low to me but if it works for you then happy hammering!

yes anvil is low, still hunting for a good stump.....forehead protectors (yeah get told on a daily basis they're for your eyes not your head lol) 

Nice looking setup, I started forging with a lot less. There is lots of info here on setting up a smithy. The way I determine anvil height is standing naturally with arms at side making a fist. My anvil height is where my knuckles rest on the anvil top. If you have a welder you could extend the legs of the angle iron base to raise it a bit. Stooping over to hammer gets old fast! Forge on!

16 minutes ago, TwistedCustoms said:

Nice looking setup, I started forging with a lot less. There is lots of info here on setting up a smithy. The way I determine anvil height is standing naturally with arms at side making a fist. My anvil height is where my knuckles rest on the anvil top. If you have a welder you could extend the legs of the angle iron base to raise it a bit. Stooping over to hammer gets old fast! Forge on!

believe it or not my ape like arms are knuckle height to the anvil but I still have to bend a little to get the right strike on, just going to look for a good stump to refine for height, reading on this site I go into information overload and get side tracked and end up miles from where I started looking, love this site...keep hammering  

That stand isn't too hard to adjust in height. A couple of 2x's under the legs will lift it a bit and you can play with different heights that way without too much trouble. When you find what works, just drill a few holes in the angle iron and run in some lags to lock the wood in place.

24 minutes ago, DSW said:

That stand isn't too hard to adjust in height. A couple of 2x's under the legs will lift it a bit and you can play with different heights that way without too much trouble. When you find what works, just drill a few holes in the angle iron and run in some lags to lock the wood in place.

had thoughts of doing just that DSW, then wait till the right stump comes along (I get a bit fixated on things and really want a stump)

cheers mate

Hi TomasPowers

will be fitting one, as yes I did come across the problem so far, I have got a gas fired forge made from an old 9kg gas bottle, I started working on before this project...fitted one to there don't really know why I didn't to the hard/solid fuel forge......I have a these brain snaps sometimes but it will be rectified.....learning every day

keep the anvil ringing  (cheers)

First of all,  congratulations on getting a fire going and having some quality forge time. 

I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism about your posture.  I offer it because it pains my lower back to see you hunched over like that.  A lot of beginning smiths do what you are doing.  I believe they want their eyes close to the work and their body far from it. Some also insist on their body always being square to the work.  My advice is step up to that anvil and get your body over the work.  You will save your back, save your muscles, and improve accuracy and endurance.  Swinging as the photo shows,  you are expending a lot of energy to hold that hammer in the air at arms length from your center.  

-Adair

8 hours ago, Adair said:

First of all,  congratulations on getting a fire going and having some quality forge time. 

I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism about your posture.  I offer it because it pains my lower back to see you hunched over like that.  A lot of beginning smiths do what you are doing.  I believe they want their eyes close to the work and their body far from it. Some also insist on their body always being square to the work.  My advice is step up to that anvil and get your body over the work.  You will save your back, save your muscles, and improve accuracy and endurance.  Swinging as the photo shows,  you are expending a lot of energy to hold that hammer in the air at arms length from your center.  

-Adair

Cheers Adair, mate at this early stage I am open to all the constructive criticism I can get, as we all knowledge is power, and the power is the people who can give you knowledge 

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Raise the anvil and step up to it.  Some folks even smith standing next to the anvil and facing the horn with their tongs and workpiece crossing in front of their waist.instead of beside it.

thanks for the input, learning everyday with the help of folks like you

cheers

At the least you don't want your elbows to leave your side and keep your shoulders still. If you're reaching for the anvil you're too far away and any hip or shoulder action you put into it is costing accuracy, accuracy count's more than just about anything else.

Frosty The Lucky.

A couple of things, first welcome.

Second not long ago...... a couple of weeks ago a youth student picked his hot metal up off the anvil to admire it, stepped forward while swinging it down, stumbled, punched the hot metal right into a young girls ...... face ......... missed her eye due to ........ glasses. They deflected the metal enough to just graze the cheek resulting in a minor burn as opposed to the loss of a cauterized eye........ Good thing glasses are required and the students are told to hold their metal down.... not that that part was observed on the one students part. Takes just a moment and things happen.

Last observation. I do like has been mentioned above stand in close over the anvil. So I don't stretch, when at a too low anvil I spread my legs further apart thus dropping my body down without bending over. Sometimes even bending knees.

Good grief Rashelle! Stories like that scare heck out of me. Stuff like this happens no matter how careful a person is, everybody forgets, slips or whatever. Keeping your eyes on everybody else and NOT losing your own focus is a long learning process but well worth it.

How's she doing? I'm pretty sure the burn's healed up nicely, young skin heals so fast but how is she taking it? A scare like that can really shake you though it's not a bad thing to NOT trust everybody in the shop. Stuff happens to everybody.

Frosty The Lucky.

Stuff like that happening to youth is about the most scary aspect of my job. Those little circumstances happen to everyone like you pointed out. Burns happen, cuts and scrapes happen, so do bruises. I had one week camp I started calling burn unit camp. They were so bad the first couple days with touching hot metal. By the end of the week though they started figuring it out and we actually had a day without so much as a hot wax burn. I was kidding the youth calling them cooking camp ... roast kid for lunch.

No theatrics on my part normally means no theatrics on their parts. The girl took it well .... it is an outdoor survival school. Minor injuries are expected. Her father took it well also. Will leave a small scar for a little while but should be good.

First rule of Trackers: no one dies, second rule nothing that doesn't heal in 4 days .... well we push that one a little bit in the blacksmith and bladesmith classes as burns tend to take a little while. Cold running water is your friend. I make them keep injured parts under the chilled drinking water fountain till the cold hurts more.

Shop rule:  Any burn that results in a verbal OUCH, shaking of the hand, or actual grabbing of hot iron, the part stays UNDER water for 15 minutes.  This allows the water to pull the heat from the meat to keep the meat from cooking.  They can argue all they want that it no longer hurts but they can not argue with the clock.

No shish-kid-bob!

Fortunately I almost never have a student burn them self badly enough to need 1st. aid but I'm not teaching more than two at a time max. I did have three young ladies from Germany want to try blacksmithing but that's a rarity. Deb's Boss's nieces and a friend the youngest was 18.

Frosty The Lucky.