I Forge Iron

Makers mark stamps

Hey folks, I have been thinking of having a small stamp made to mark some of my own forgings. Do any of you do this? The stamp I'm thinking on would have to be small(less than an inch long) and have small characters. Any hints, tips, or advice would sure be appreciated.

i made my own, its about a 1/4 inch square and is my initials, lots of us do this.

Littleblacksmith

Edited by littleblacksmith
clarification

The stamp you are referring to is called a touchmark.  You can make one or have one made to your design.  The ready-made ones can become expensive.

To make your own, obtain some higher carbon tool steel such as a section of coil spring, Allen wrench, broken drill bit, old chisels or punches, etc.  Draw a design on a flat end and file, engrave or Dremel tool the relief.  It doesn't need to be hardened/heat treated since it will be contacting hot steel that would probably negate any heat treatment.

4 minutes ago, arkie said:

Draw a design on a flat end

make sure that you draw it backwords so that when it is stamped it is the correct way! trust me, it sounds dumb but I've done it before.

Littleblacksmith

For the time being, I cheated and bought what's called a "code stamp" from a tool supply company.  It's a letter with a circle around it.  Cost $16 and works for me.  My problem is that I just can't seem to come up with a touchmark that I would like to use...brain lock, I guess.  I can't justify spending $100 to $150 for a touchmark as has been quoted to me.