I Forge Iron

Plow teeth

Had to go get some parts the other day and was able to stop by the scrap yard, picked 3 of these up. For the life of me I can't remember what they are called but I know that they came off of a plow. I've got 2 questions about them: 

1. Are the teeth good enough steel to make punches or other tools out of?

2. This is probably a duh question but would welding 2 or 3 together for added mass or a longer tool be worth doing or would that be creating a fracture point? I'm leaning towards the secondly but figured it couldn't hurt to ask

.image.jpeg

Might be good stock but I can't see enough of it. If it's just steel then it's probably in the mid carbon range but if it has bolt or wedge in "teeth" they are probably too hard to use direct and maybe not something forgable. I can't even give you a good guess without a closer look. Of course if a person knew it's name said person might have a better idea of how useful it is as salvage for the stock pile.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's the bunny.

3 hours ago, marcusb said:

rotary hoe

ill put up some actual pictures on Monday, that was actually from a friends fathers grave but it was the only picture I could find without knowing the name. 

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Might be good stock but I can't see enough of it. If it's just steel then it's probably in the mid carbon range but if it has bolt or wedge in "teeth" they are probably too hard to use direct and maybe not something forgable. I can't even give you a good guess without a closer look. Of course if a person knew it's name said person might have a better idea of how useful it is as salvage for the stock pile.

Frosty The Lucky.

The teeth were riveted into the rings and hub.

If they are no good then I'm out $12 so I'm not too worried and I can always throw them in our scrap pile and get my money back when we take a load of rolled barb wire up. I had thought that the tips may have just been hard surfaced and I don't know if anything can be done with that or if it will heat unevenly and just crack/shatter when I try to do anything with it.