I Forge Iron

Has anyone successfully made a teliscopic hood?

When I was young I remember trying to cob one together with what I could find out of the metal pile and it worked horribly lol. Now that I'm older I'd like to try it one more time and am keeping my eyes open for ideas that work. My shop isn't 100% dedicated to blacksmith work and I try to keep everything on wheels to quickly move around as needed so I'm pretty sold on the idea, no talking me out of it ;) I've never delt much with chimneys before so I really have no idea what kind of fancy products are avalable. I am working with the assumption that I will need some kind of helper fan to induce draft as my rooftop is pretty tall and the wind can get pretty nasty, a tall chimney is out of the equation unfortunately.

What have you guys seen out there? Any suggestions? 

Which do you want, a telescoping hood or stack? Either are easy enough to either make or buy but the hood won't have any effect regarding high roof and winds. A telexcoping stack on the other hand would be more susceptible to winds unless you go to some lengths to guy it. If you're going to guy the stack anyway just make it tall enough.

Okay, that's my take not knowing exactly what you have in mind.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not sure if I'm using the term hood and stack right, in my mind the hood attaches to the stack; I want a hood that I can raise up out of the way. Here's a picture I came upon earlier I liked, I basically want a setup simmilar to this with a blower assist but I need it to raise up out of the way. 

trichter.jpg.715eddd7779ed12566e9702408c8755b.jpg

Well, this is from my shop. The contraption pivots so when I clean out the forge I swing it backwards to get it out of the way. It would swing all the way up to the ceiling if I put some kind of hook that held it up.

14 hours ago, setlab said:

I've never delt much with chimneys before so I really have no idea what kind of fancy products are available.

As far as fancy products, there are commercial vehicle and welding exhaust systems available that work on swivel or telescopic arms and can be fitted with exhaust fans.  Plimovent and Monoxivent, come to mind initially.  They have large diameter, high temperature flexible vent ducting, but with use of an exhaust fan you can reduce your chimney diameter considerably.  Expect to really open your wallet for one of their systems though, and not just for the equipment, but for the ongoing cost of running an exhaust fan.

I think Jim's suggestion of a side draft hood supported on your forge table with a removable horizontal section of duct might be a good alternative for a mobile setup.  You can get, or fabricate, duct flanges and make a horizontal spool piece that could be unbolted when you go to relocate your forge (leaving the vertical section located in an out of the way area in place).

I do not remember what I paid for the bits and pieces but I should think not more than 50 US$  for pipes and the fan was free. Cost of running: I should believe the fan uses less than half a kW so the cost in my place is lower than 10 cents an hour.

The reason for my using this design is that I did not want to take the chimney through the ceiling which in my experience in my climate would cause me much more problems and cost. I did not want the forge to be at the wall since the wall is wood and since I want to have all sides free so longer pieces (which I seldom do) can be positioned any way. I also want to have access to the work bench which is adjacent to the forge from the back side in case I would want to put a plumber's vise there. This layout also frees wall that can be used for storage.  

A swinging design could work, I certainly have high enough ceilings for it to get out of the way. How well does that funnel hood work for you with a tall fresh pile of coal? Is something like that big enough for that amount of smoke all at once? 

I put a heap of fresh coals on to show the smoke getting into the funnel. The forge is not very big but I never get any smoke into the shop - unless i have the door well open when a wind is blowing. That tends to move the smoke to the side. Also when I am ligting the kindle there is not enough heat to move all the first smoke up into the funnel but that is over in less than half a minute and is very little smoke anyway.

The only drawback is that the vaccum cleaner is noisy but I will one day move it to the outside of the wall.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...