I Forge Iron

ball bearing test 120%

Just got a small tub of bearings from a mechanic. Most of them are around 1/2".

So I get home and try a bounce, bounces really high. Again and again over 100% ? Physically impossible ? Is the bearing to hard ?

N.N.F.

Beautiful ,Manchester ,Michigan .

Thomas, I love all of your input on this site.

Just a drop.  I will ask my wife to help me post a video. Just a drop. How many bounces till orbit? I know and believe in my head and heart this can't happen. It's  just a drop. 

Magic beans, Bigfoot? 

Oh NO, not another batch of those ball bearings Fred MacMurray invented in the '60s! You have to use a different method to perform the "REALLYbound" test using a Flubbearing ball (Yes this a precision test so we distinguish between a "Flubbearing ball" a single ball from a bearing assembly and "ball Flubberings." the friction negating assembly)

To perform a REALLY bounding test. Plant your feet a little more than shoulder width apart on either side of the anvil maintain a straight back bend at the waist until you can sight between your thumb and finger directly down to the anvil's surface. Grasp one moderate diameter, NOT larger than0.625" dia. Flubbearing ball between thumb and forefiinger held NO more than 4" above the anvil's face. Slowly tilt your head back until you can just see the Flubbearing ball past your lip and breathing deeply through your nose release the Flubbearing ball.

Carefully count each bounce until the Flubbearing ball lodges in your nostril. The fewer the REALLYbounds the higher the quality the anvil. 1, REALLYbound and BUY IT, it's OBVIOUSLY a Soderfors!  2, REALLYbounds and it's a high quality anvil well worth owning. 3 REALLYbounds is a moderate quality anvil but still useful especially for beginners or those on a budget. 4 or more REALLYbounds and it's an ASHOO (Anvil Shaped Hardly Ownable Object) Blow it off, wipe your hands of it immediately.

Seriously it's NOT bouncing 120%. Use a ruler and drop from less height. A rebound pushing more than 95% LOOKS like a LOT more if you drop it from more than a few inches.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not sure I can ever live this down. So I did the math,  70,340 bounces till orbit. Thats from my location 900ft above sea level. 

I just want this post to ride off into the sunset. 

Sometimes its better to have NoName.

As the rotation of the earth became a factor during the acceding and descending hang time, you would have to continuously move the anvil to a position UNDER the descending path of the bearing so the bearing would impact the anvil face.

At some point you should be concerned about the ability of the anvil to absorb the impact of the speeding projectile.

Multiple sonic booms could be a problem. Most likely some government agency would pay you a visit for endangering flying or migrating birds, or for entering the flight path of air planes, or NORAD or NASA just out of curiosity.  Then there is the issue of hitting a satellite, the Hubble telescope, or the space station.

We suggest you let the ball bearing miss the anvil at some point and embed itself into the earth, followed by a well placed foot to cover any evidence of impact.

49 minutes ago, NoName said:

I just want this post to ride off into the sunset. 

I doubt that blacksmiths will let that happen with having some fun first. (grin)

Ah, Flubbearing balls don't embed in anything harder than cream cheese, they even get decent bounce off water once they get going, everybody knows that. You guys are really funny, you can't get a Flubbearing ball to hit an anvil a fifth time on a bet, that's why a reallybound test is only four bounces max. Heck, it's unlikely one will hit in the same county after five or six bounces.

Sunset, oh that's rich! Boing - - - ba BOOM - - Sunrise! - - - - Sunset - - ba BOOM - - - Boing. Repeat. Oh that's funny, good one NoName!

Frosty The Lucky.

Of all the things to be remembered for; that ranks very very low on the scale of being embarrassed  over...don't sweat it.   (Unlike last night when I taught a beginning smithing class with it being about 106 degF when we started. And none of the students had thought to bring something to drink, or sunscreen or mosquito repellant .  Ahh Youth!  I went through a bottle of gatorade and two of water and feel fine today!  We definitely did sweat it.  One was a soldier and so probably more acclimated to working in the heat than I am.)

On 7/15/2016 at 5:04 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Ahh Youth!  I went through a bottle of gatorade and two of water and feel fine today!  We definitely did sweat it. 

Is this the result of what is now termed "dehydration"? 

When I worked in the foundry and forge in my apprentice days it was never mentioned, there was a technical name for it which served as a warning and one you took notice of, and your fellow workers would also be alert to it and warn you,

Something along the lines of "You thirsty then?"

On 7/6/2016 at 9:44 PM, Frosty said:

Oh NO, not another batch of those ball bearings Fred MacMurray invented in the '60s! You have to use a different method to perform the "REALLYbound" test using a Flubbearing ball (Yes this a precision test so we distinguish between a "Flubbearing ball" a single ball from a bearing assembly and "ball Flubberings." the friction negating assembly)

To perform a REALLY bounding test. Plant your feet a little more than shoulder width apart on either side of the anvil maintain a straight back bend at the waist until you can sight between your thumb and finger directly down to the anvil's surface. Grasp one moderate diameter, NOT larger than0.625" dia. Flubbearing ball between thumb and forefiinger held NO more than 4" above the anvil's face. Slowly tilt your head back until you can just see the Flubbearing ball past your lip and breathing deeply through your nose release the Flubbearing ball.

Carefully count each bounce until the Flubbearing ball lodges in your nostril. The fewer the REALLYbounds the higher the quality the anvil. 1, REALLYbound and BUY IT, it's OBVIOUSLY a Soderfors!  2, REALLYbounds and it's a high quality anvil well worth owning. 3 REALLYbounds is a moderate quality anvil but still useful especially for beginners or those on a budget. 4 or more REALLYbounds and it's an ASHOO (Anvil Shaped Hardly Ownable Object) Blow it off, wipe your hands of it immediately.

Seriously it's NOT bouncing 120%. Use a ruler and drop from less height. A rebound pushing more than 95% LOOKS like a LOT more if you drop it from more than a few inches.

Frosty The Lucky.

huh, i thought you're supposed to bounce the anvil off the ball bearing?

• 7 months later...

Bearing thread resurrection day. Scientific ball bearing test in progress, please kids, don't try this at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWySdXedUiY

"The bearing ball lose, and the press wins! But, it was a very tight match because, look at my pressing tool, there is quite good dent, uh, out of the ball and what up? Uh! This somehow stuck-ed to that!"

That's a good bearing ball test, if'n you axe me. Them flubbearing balls are tough critters!

Ahhh, the Hydraulic press channel what an inspiring place to watch. The bearing crushing in slo mo was pretty cool. Oooh sparkly! I was especially impressed with the press guy's use of the open end wrench. No prying or chiseling with a screw driver for him!

The smooshed nut was cool, I liked it.

Now if we could just get the hydraulic press channel to do that to politician's tongues!

Frosty The Lucky.