I Forge Iron

Carpenter's hatchet hot cut?

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever converted a carpenter's hatchet into a hot cut top tool? One caught my eye in the hardware store the other day, and it struck me that one could easily grind or cut the blade width to match the height of the eye, maybe spot-annealing the hammer end to make a softer struck end. 

Has anyone ever tried this, or is there a good reason not to?

• 1 month later...

man, you seem to be on a tool making craze! I get them some times. any specific project in mind, or just building up your tooling?

Littleblacksmith

7 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

man, you seem to be on a tool making craze! I get them some times. any specific project in mind, or just building up your tooling?

Littleblacksmith

I had an unexpected gift of TIME: a week that I was supposed to be on vacation (accompanying my wife to a chamber music conference where she teaches in the summer) had to be spent at home so I could keep an eye on my hospitalized mother-in-law. Rather than sit around doing nothing, I fired up the forge for about 6 hours a day for eight days running and got a LOT done. 

Yes, most of that was tooling. I've been in "make the tool to make the tool to make the...what was I making?" mode for a long time, so it just made sense to get a bunch of things made that I'd been needing or thinking about for a while. 

23 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Littleblacksmith

I had an unexpected gift of TIME: a week that I was supposed to be on vacation (accompanying my wife to a chamber music conference where she teaches in the summer) had to be spent at home so I could keep an eye on my hospitalized mother-in-law. Rather than sit around doing nothing, I fired up the forge for about 6 hours a day for eight days running and got a LOT done. 

Yes, most of that was tooling. I've been in "make the tool to make the tool to make the...what was I making?" mode for a long time, so it just made sense to get a bunch of things made that I'd been needing or thinking about for a while. 

Would have gotten a lot more made, too, if I hadn't burned a couple of pieces 3/4 of the way through making them!

12 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Would have gotten a lot more made, too, if I hadn't burned a couple of pieces 3/4 of the way through making them!

JHCC

Its good to know I'm not the only person that burns things up mid-project.  

3 hours ago, JHCC said:

Several hours' work down the tube.

what were you working on? it happens to all of us......

Littleblacksmith

Ya know, that's what I like about this site.  I can look at projects I will never have the skill to do, projects that are beautiful, so-so projects (some where mine) and failures (again some where mine)and everyone is supportive and willing to help you learn from your mistakes and let us new guys know "stuff happens" to both experienced smiths and beginners.  Thanks all!

Papy