I Forge Iron

Hay Mower Blade Challenge!

Spin off from the Karambit from Ag steel thread.

JHCC Had a pretty fun idea to start a thread about a "Hay Mower Blade Challenge" to see what kind of creative items folks could forge from these small bits of mystery'ish steel. So here it goes.

FYI Hay mower blades are used on hay mowers to cut hay (duh) and when they wear out they usually just get replaced. Therefore if you know anyone that cuts hay and never throws anything away, then more than likely they have a metric ton of these lying around. And will probably make you a deal on them or give them to you for a killer bottle opener, forged knife, hand forged trinkets etc.. Or you may find them at a your local scrap yard.

To kick it off here are a few things I've made out of them. You may have seen them already but I figured I should post something.

I usually try to use the existing hole in some manner, just because its already there.

Forge em if ya got em! And post pictures here!

Should be fun anyway.

IMG_1001.JPG

oldkarambit.jpg

1813ff803367ade883114082e73b6061.jpg

Ok thanks a lot.

I'll have to get my "google fu" on about the heat treating as well.

I've been doing it based on what I read works for 1095.

Normalize a couple of times in vermiculite, heat to non magnetic, quench in veg oil, then temper at 450-500 oven for a couple of hours.

That seems to be doing good for the light use that I've used them for, they do get sharp. Maybe I'll start putting the last one through some tests to gauge edge retention.

Thanks again.

A.G.Russell once bent an aluminum beer can in two and hammered it flat and then honed it until he could shave with it; he did it because of the large number of people who kept telling him that they could shave with their pocket knife blade...Edge retention, toughness, flexibility lots more to being a good knife than just sharp!

23 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

A.G.Russell once bent an aluminum beer can in two and hammered it flat and then honed it until he could shave with it; he did it because of the large number of people who kept telling him that they could shave with their pocket knife blade...Edge retention, toughness, flexibility lots more to being a good knife than just sharp!

Well I guess he got his point across! ;) 

I was already thinking about making something small that I could carry and see how it holds up to my commercially made pocket knife. I've got a lot to learn still too.

As a side note, I made a quick little bottle opener out of one of these mower blades and gave to a visitor, sadly didn't get a pic.

So as for the hay blade challenge it doesn't have to be a knife.

Like Nacho Libre said about a grown man wearing stretchy pants, "Its for fun" :D

55 minutes ago, Frosty said:

sweaty blacksmiths in Spandex

Wow, one minute I'm reading about making items out of hay mowing blades (which I've changed 100s of over the years) and my cell phone rang I talked a few minutes with my lawyer and when I looked back Frosty is talking about sweaty blacksmiths in Spandex.  :o  I've seen a lot of blacksmiths in assorted attire and have many  pictures of old shops and blacksmiths but never considered Spandex, that's enough to make one lose their lunch. 

The wire brush isn't for ME Thomas it's for. . . Nevermind not saying THAT again just thinking it hurts. My immune system decided my beta cells were snacks too but it wasn't enough. It took a tree to get me to retire. If I used a tree on sweaty blacksmiths in Spandex they wouldn't go away like a wire brush would encourage them to, they'd just lay there under a tree in their Spandex.

Crazy papers!? I don't need no steenkeen papers! B)

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Lawyer? Are you applying for your crazy papers

Nah, I've already got those left over from being in business.  Buying a one of a kind piece of property and he handles my Vermont business for a few more months, has the nerve to retire. 

A no nonsense Lawyer, was 22 yr.  Navy Helo pilot, 3 tours off Vietnam as Air Sea rescue Pilot and the Helo Pilot of the yr. of the entire Navy.  Then became a Lawyer.  Takes no crap from anyone, another lawyer or Judge included.  

6 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

what about your wife, she did marry you...

Deb can wear whatever she likes or not. She did marry me so I can cut her whatever slack she needs. I ain't THAT crazy you know.

Frosty The Lucky.