I Forge Iron

Am I about to pay too much for this vice?

blackleafforge

Someone close to me is selling this vice, I was going to go with a modern engineers vice but I have just restored an old leg vice and really enjoyed the process of bringing it back and love the look of it in my shop so I want to invest in another bit of usable history. The seller describes this as a solid steel victorian vice and is asking £70. Can anyone confirm its history and value?

Thanks

Andy 

forgot the pic :)

$_86.JPG

well that would be a decent price for a leg vice, but this isn't a leg vice. a lot  of it depends on the manufacturer, which I cant really read on the side of the vice. here there not to hard to find at the scrap yard, and I also don't use machinest vices, I prefer leg vices. PERSONOLY I would not get it but that's just me

Littleblacksmith

Most probably not Victorian, the Made in England usually dates till the after 1910 when the USA passed a law that imported items had to be marked with country of origin and so it was added to a lot of things just in case they got exported.  I would consider that several times too high unless it was a particularly collectable items; whereupon I would leave it to the collectors.

Not even close to "Victorian".  Can't really tell the size or much about the construction from the photo--appears to be "mid grade" (gut call). Top-grade large bench vices can bring good money but that one (again, a gut call) is over-priced , even in US dollars.  Everything but the big old Wiltons (and a few other commercial brands) tend to go for about $ 50 USD at auction here...and that's if they are pretty decent and good-sized.