I Forge Iron

Gate Progress

Slowly sneaking up on it.  Not sure that I will have it done by June 7th,  but we will see.  Was hoping to be a little further along but had company for the long weekend and all sorts of rain.  Need to check out the steel rack at work and see what there is for 1/8 x 1" strapping to simplify bullrush leaves.  Otherwise start flattening a bunch of 1/2 round.  Hmmm...  looking at the one picture I may have to spread the 'M' a little wider. 

DSC02698.thumb.JPG.fc8e9ae758ee576a54d43DSC02699.thumb.JPG.6b0d6066bdbf5049cff7cDSC02700.thumb.JPG.cc9706c9e94c673aeaac2

11 minutes ago, Dogsoldat said:

Thanks guys!  Just making it up as I go along...

sometimes that's the best way to do things.

Littleblacksmith

A sleepless night and a super hot day kind of robbed me of my mojo.  Managed to get all the leaves I had made on and more or less bent into place.  Forged another seven leaves to fill in a few spots that are short on foliage.  Just one big hole down in the lower left hand corner that needs a bunch of TLC.DSC02707.thumb.JPG.ad0a784e1b38b4af99926DSC02708.thumb.JPG.308ed09a884edede02d41DSC02709.thumb.JPG.c0dfb0df05ad342ba7e7c

Weld a few leaves on the tree, forge out another bullrush leaf or two, a dragonfly some sort of handle and sort out some hinges. Pretty happy with the bottom left hand corner so far.  Guess I better get back out there and keep moving forward.

DSC02711.thumb.JPG.98f071e7cfdf86658e1aa

Dragonfly nearly done, bulrushes all in place.  A few extra leaves added.  The 'H' is going to be cut out and redone right.  It's realy starting to bug me.  A few adjustments on the one basket twist to match the other and sort out how they are going to be attached then onto clean up and paint. 

DSC02714.thumb.JPG.0984d446340c0b289cd3eDSC02715.thumb.JPG.fb9abb44aafef6c1c32deDSC02716.thumb.JPG.319b3be000d5fb4f6d9ff

Was contemplating a snail or maybe a small bird and a rolled up copper wire birds nest.  I'll have to see. Wife figured stick an owl in someplace.  Was thinking of basket twist on each side for handles.  Might go with a push plate on the push side and a twist on the outside.  Spring loaded to close.   Not sure how ambitious I'm going to get with hinges.  I know I should do something a little fancier than just standard heavy hinges.   Anyways this is where it will be going .

DSC02717.thumb.JPG.3eebeacacdab2ad58e72aDSC02730.thumb.JPG.673db8ef1a05b1fef3deb

Nice heavy pintle hinges but make the top one pin down so a bad guy can't just lift the gate off the hinges. A threaded or wedged through bolt makes servicing a not major chore. It'd be easy to fit it in with the gate's theme. Of course strap hinges could fit in easily and be pretty flashy. Say a dragon or butter fly perched on the post and it's hinged wings on the gate?

I assume you're going to post WIP pics of the rest of the fence as you build it. Yes?

I like your gate more every time I look at it even if it isn't a progress pic.

Frosty The Lucky.