I Forge Iron

Need to ID and anvil

Have an anvil looking for some help in identify it.  It's about 100lbs.  Has a beautiful ring to it , tested with a inch and half ball bearing.  Mounted on a huge piece of timber with bent flat stock straps holding it down.  It was my fathers and I've had it for 20 years.  By the way my real name is John Henry.

IMG_1437 (1).MOV

Are there any markings on the sides?  Is there any marking on the front of the foot under the horn and if so which side?  What is the shape of any indentation on the bottom?  Is the underside of the heel undulating? do the feel have ledges on them?

A simple fast to download photo would have been better than that MOV.  The ballbearing test narrows it down to several hundred possible makers.

Wow! What a great forum this is!  Every one is friendly and informative.  I'm a ex union welder and pipe-fitter so I know my metal, but anvils , not so much.  Thank you all for your input.  No, I'm not the original John Henry but I have swung a sledge hammer and still do!  The anvil dimensions are 27and 1/2"overall with an 11" horn.  It's 11" high and the top is 16" by 4".  The only markings I can see are on the front under the horn.  I can make out the numbers 155    194481.  No visible names.  I live in the Manchester NH area.  Thanks so much for your help.

anvil.JPG

Anvil makers mark 1.JPG

Anvil makers mark 2.JPG

you could always take up smithing. you already have one of the main components that many people have trouble finding. yours seem to be in decent shape also.

Littleblacskmith