I Forge Iron

Coal rake

Made this the other day, it's not as smooth or clean as I'd like but it works well so I won't complain too much. Not too pleased with the handle but it doesn't feel too bad, thinking about tweaking it but I may leave it for something to look back on

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

In way of any comment, you might see how it feels both with the offset to the right and to the left. I find that I flip my coal rake over in my hand to rake the coal up on the left and the right side of my forge; yours looks a little hard for that operation. 

I had thought of that and I've actually been using it for a couple days, and haven't had a problem working both sides of the fire yet, if it becomes an issue won't be tough to change angles. 

1 hour ago, Ridgewayforge said:

In way of any comment, you might see how it feels both with the offset to the right and to the left. I find that I flip my coal rake over in my hand to rake the coal up on the left and the right side of my forge; yours looks a little hard for that operation. 

• 4 months later...

Just as an update for anyone who may be interested, the only complaint I have with this after 4months use is that the basket is alittle harsh in the hand when you step away from the forge for a few weeks. Otherwise it moves coal around very well.

Very functional, with a work hardened hand it's not too bad but when you let your calluses fade the texture on the basket is just a bit rough and the overall shape is uneven, squashed on one side and over round on the other. It was my first basket twist so if I ever do over the handle I'll just completely redo the rake and keep the old as a reference. I wouldn't change anything other than the handle shape or length, it can get a bit warm if you leave it in the forge.

A blacksmith would just rework the handle just needs a little tweaking and vigorous brushing. Heat it twist it tight, open it back up pry the bars even and it's a done deal.

Basket twists take practice, that's not a bad first, better than mine. The only actual fault I'd find is not brushing it smooth before calling it good to go.

Frosty The Lucky.

I honestly think it's les the brushing as I drew it out from 3/4 so it wasn't smooth to begin with. If I were to make another one I would take stock that was the right size already, mig it together and the twist and shape, or take a stage and smooth it out. When I did that I was in my stubborn in going to do it the way I think it should be done instead of the correct way. That wasn't that long ago but I'd like to think I've grown quite a bit since then. 

On October 8, 2016 at 8:22 PM, Frosty said:

A blacksmith would just rework the handle just needs a little tweaking and vigorous brushing. Heat it twist it tight, open it back up pry the bars even and it's a done deal.

Basket twists take practice, that's not a bad first, better than mine. The only actual fault I'd find is not brushing it smooth before calling it good to go.

Frosty The Lucky.

Something else that I've been thinking about on this and it sounds better than me being too lazy to put it back in the fire is its a constant reminder to do better the first time than to call it good enough when it should have been better the first time. Still I've gotten used to it and it would probably feel weird if I fixed it now.

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

There was a post last year about a nifty little tool for tweaking basket twists: here it is.

Ayup, that's it, the Tweaker! The good kind, one you WANT in your shop, not the kind that's there casing the joint for a midnight shopping spree. These really are handy tools for getting baskets even, much better than the traditional pair of screw drivers.

Frosty The Lucky.