I Forge Iron

A2 tool steel

Just now, New axe maker said:

Any easier tool steels you'd recommend?

Depends on your experience level. If, as your name suggests, you want to make axes then 4140 is a good medium carbon alloy steel for axes and hammers, punches, drifts etc. Fairly straight forward to use and heat treat and will make good tools. 

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Also stock up on spinach; working truck axles without a powerhammer will give you Popeye arms!  (not a bad thing at all)

Yesterday I was forging a small run of h13 drifts. I finished and started to make a 4140 flatter for an order and as soon as I hit the stock after the h13 I almost jumped for joy. It felt like playdough after 4 hours of tool steel lol. 

One of the reasons I tell people that "practicing" making knives with mild steel isn't.   High C/ High Alloy works differently and the temperature range for forging can be very narrow and VERY important---like forging Ti: thud thud thud TING!   I work with a lot of scrap and sometimes you get an old very low c very low alloy piece that sucks the hammer down into it when it's hot...