I Forge Iron

never worked with d-2 tool steel

Jackson: Have you done any reading in the knife making and heat treating sections on Iforge?

However seeing as you'd rather just ask than do a LITTLE research I'll give it a shot with maybe 3 minutes of reading. Yes D2 has LOTS of uses. YES it requires advanced equipment, knowledge and experience to properly heat treat. It's air hardening so it's a serious trick to keep it from hardening.

Try doing a web search, IGNORE Youtube, blogs, etc. and read the MANUFACTURER'S specs and recommendations.  Page 1 on Speedy Metals site will tell you more than you will understand.

I'm not poking you honestly but you'll learn so much more so much faster if you do a little real research. No, social media is NOT real research. Walk with me and listen to me tales, me boyo I'll learn you about reading about other people's mistakes and successes so you don't have to screw up as much stuff as I did. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

No problems heat treating D2 if you follow the instructions EXACTLY; probably need a computer controlled ramping heat treat furnace but that's not a problem; just a requirement.

Machinery's Handbook section on tool steels mentions D2 being used for: coining tools, thread rolling dies, dies for long runs, lathe centers, hot trimming dies, tools with keen edges: knives, razors

NOT A STEEL TO LEARN SMITHING ON; A STEEL FOR ADVANCED WORK as such it makes decent trade stock at blacksmith conferences---not as good as H13 or S7 or O1 or 52100 or...

So Jackson, as you can see, you will get better responses if you do your own research first, then ask questions afterwards. Thomas and Frosty are both GOLDMINES of information among many other incredibly knowledgeable and skilled smiths who frequent this forum. We are all very willing to share what we know but you need to be willing to meet us in the middle. This trade is not as simple as ask a question, get an answer and move on. You really need to invest alot of time in learning and practice to be able to get anywhere. This forum is an incredible resource for those who are seeking info/help AFTER they have come up dry with a specific answer. Google is your friend. If you are just starting out, pull up a comfy chair, grab a snack and a cold drink and start reading the thousands upon thousands of hours of information on this forum. Start with the pinned posts. There are class sections with excellent details on most anything a beginner may wonder. We are here to help, but answering the same questions day after day gets old quick. Show us you are worth taking time out of our day to help you and you will find more help than anyone could ever hope for. Just meet us in the middle ;)

So Jackson, as you can see, you will get better responses if you do your own research first, then ask questions afterwards. Thomas and Frosty are both GOLDMINES of information among many other incredibly knowledgeable and skilled smiths who frequent this forum. We are all very willing to share what we know but you need to be willing to meet us in the middle. This trade is not as simple as ask a question, get an answer and move on. You really need to invest alot of time in learning and practice to be able to get anywhere. This forum is an incredible resource for those who are seeking info/help AFTER they have come up dry with a specific answer. Google is your friend. If you are just starting out, pull up a comfy chair, grab a snack and a cold drink and start reading the thousands upon thousands of hours of information on this forum. Start with the pinned posts. There are class sections with excellent details on most anything a beginner may wonder. We are here to help, but answering the same questions day after day gets old quick. Show us you are worth taking time out of our day to help you and you will find more help than anyone could ever hope for. Just meet us in the middle ;)

After looking at your profile I see you are 14. Same age I was when I started this trade. 13 years later and I'm still learning more every single day. I did notice you do not have your location listed in your profile however. You should add it since there may be a Smith close by who can help you along. If you live near me, I'd say stop by my shop whenever you want and I can help you out, but I don't even know which country you live in.