I Forge Iron

Hello from Indiana

Nate08

Hi All,

I'm Nate from Washington, IN.  I've been forging along with other hobbies for a little over a year and it's taking shape as my main pastime.  So far I've built my forge, chimney, and acquired my anvil, blower, and post vise.  Slowly I'm making my other tools such as punches, chisels, hammers, and tongs.  My main interest is making things for myself, wife, boy, and friends.  My goals are to build fences, gates, and someday a musket or two.  Nice to meet you all. 

Nate 

Welcome aboard Nate, glad to have you. Sounds like you have a good start on kit. What have you made so far? Tools are a great place to start have you made tongs yet? They're not only good intermediate projects you'll never have too  many, sort of like floor space, light and outlets in a shop. I think you'll fit right in here.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hey Nate08, good to see ya.....Your in a good location down there. The IBA satellite group in Elnora is a great group of guys. If you haven't hooked up with them, please do so. If you need contact info, I'll be glad to get it for you. I'm sure you already know, but the coal from Oden Farm store is the go to supplier for many in the Hoosier state. Looks like you are pretty well set with the kit I saw in the anvil ID tread.

I worked in Washington one summer a couple of years before I retired. It was a fairly large sewer job out by the treatment plant. Stayed in Montgomery at the Gastoff. ( best food in the state, in my opinion) Enjoy the ride...you're in good company here.          Life is Good               Dave   

16 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Is the IBA still hosting their conference in Early June?   I used to go to it from Columbus Ohio and profited greatly from it!

Yes  Thomas, it is June 3-5 this year, in Tipton, In. It's not as big as Quad State of course, but still a very good show. Lots to see, buy and learn.......                Dave

I was there one year when one of the demonstrators had to cancel at the last minute---health issue I believe.  So Billy Merritt stepped in to pinch hit---most of the local folks had seen him demo over the years so there were only a handful of us standing within touching distance of the forge. I had done some forge welding before but that demo was a "master's course"! He was doing welds at temps I would have thought too low for decent forging!

I always get comfused with Indiana and india, I always have to reread, and reread.

Littleblacksmith

3 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

I always get comfused with Indiana and india, I always have to reread, and reread.

Littleblacksmith

If you happen to watch the News tonight.......we're all over it...:(                  Dave