I Forge Iron

Anvil and stand

For anyone one who remembers I was going to use an I-beam for an anvil but then found a giant pin from some sort of heavy machinery. I have finally finished making the stand and I wanted to show it off because I worked hard on it and it took me a while to drill out the hole for it.14599613313701708528681.thumb.jpg.ac03d61461729960673-870256790.thumb.jpg.baef96

Nice. Good job with the stand, and I think I see a wedge to keep the pin from rattling around. Well done.

It looks like you still have some sharp edges around the circumference of the top. Those should be ground smooth so that you don't inadvertently nick anything you're forging. You might try putting a tight radius at one point and gradually increasing it to a fatter radius. You can either make this symmetrical to the diametrically opposed point or have the progression continue all the way around the circumference. Either way, you will have a wide variety of radii to use as fullers.

23 hours ago, MikeL said:

Haha it stormed today so I moved it inside. I'm not sure how my wife would feel about me hammering metal in the house. I can't wait to get back from Alaska so I can try it out.

Oh, where and when?

Frosty The Lucky.

Very nice work, Mike.  I'll be honest and admit that I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't mail that anvil to me like I asked, but I supposed this is a good secondary use of it.

Your first project needs to be to put some nice bends on some 1/8"x1" flat stock and replace that strapping you've got holding everything together.  What you've got on there will get the job done, but the fung schway of the whole thing is way off and will negatively influence the mojo of your forging.  

Overall, excellently done and she'll surely help you on your journey forward.

11 hours ago, MikeL said:

I'm at Elmendorf AFB for an exercise. 

That's about 50 miles from me. Our next club meeting is May 14th. in Palmer. Who knows you might get some free time. Which exercise? Your guys fly over about 1/2-3/4 mile west of our place on approach to the EAFB all the time.

Aw heck I'm still adjusting, it's now Joint Emendorf Richardson Base, JBER.

Give me a shout if you get the chance.

Frosty The Lucky.

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

That's about 50 miles from me. Our next club meeting is May 14th. in Palmer. Who knows you might get some free time. Which exercise? Your guys fly over about 1/2-3/4 mile west of our place on approach to the EAFB all the time.

Aw heck I'm still adjusting, it's now Joint Emendorf Richardson Base, JBER.

Frosty The Lucky.

I head back to Oklahoma on the 14th. I'm up here for Red Flag so I'm flying just about every other day. It is amazing up, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a place this beautiful. 

Cool, what do you fly, or are you crew? I love seeing the heavies on approach, nothing like 3, C17s in formation. Well, unless it's watching a couple F22s taking off. Even climbing out they're quiet, really quiet. Well till they light the afterburners even then.

Frosty The Lucky.

AWACS is very cool, can you listen in on cell phones? I remember the "tale" from not long after Viet Nam about how AWACS could shut other jet's electronics off. I figured a strong EMP would do it.

That kind of puts me in mind of the threat drones are becoming to aircraft. If they're close enough the pilot can see one it's close enough to fry with a directed EMP. Every drone sold should have a built in transponder because idiots ruin it for folk not to mention endangering people for funzies.

Give me a shout when you're here and I'll keep an eye open for AWACS planes flying by, I'll be the fat guy waving at you. to your East on approach between the Parks Hwy. and Hollywood rd. before you get to Knik Goose Bay rd. I'll have my cell phone in my pocket, do something cool with it so I know who it is. :D

Frosty The Lucky.

EMP takes some power to do over a distance; luckily most drones can't carry much right now.  I'd worry more about "ingestion" as you can make drones from rather indigestible materials, of carry small loads of energetic materials.  (The  big drones are pretty much owned or controlled right now)

On 4/30/2016 at 0:29 PM, Frosty said:

AWACS is very cool, can you listen in on cell phones? I remember the "tale" from not long after Viet Nam about how AWACS could shut other jet's electronics off. I figured a strong EMP would do it.

That kind of puts me in mind of the threat drones are becoming to aircraft. If they're close enough the pilot can see one it's close enough to fry with a directed EMP. Every drone sold should have a built in transponder because idiots ruin it for folk not to mention endangering people for funzies.

Give me a shout when you're here and I'll keep an eye open for AWACS planes flying by, I'll be the fat guy waving at you. to your East on approach between the Parks Hwy. and Hollywood rd. before you get to Knik Goose Bay rd. I'll have my cell phone in my pocket, do something cool with it so I know who it is. :D

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha no we can't listen in on cell phones. I remember when that Malaysian airline went missing there were people saying that an AWACS took control of it which is also untrue. We can't effect other aircraft. We are basically air traffic control in the sky. Nothing special really. 

3 minutes ago, MikeL said:

Haha no we can't listen in on cell phones. I remember when that Malaysian airline went missing there were people saying that an AWACS took control of it which is also untrue. We can't effect other aircraft. We are basically air traffic control in the sky. Nothing special really. 

Of course you say that or the black helicopters will come and get you. Heck I may have said too much already and everybody  knows you can track the plates holding my leg together from spy satellites! Aieeeeeee I'm doomed, DOOMED I say!

Maybe I'm thinking of the P3 Orion for more heavy duty surveillance capabilities or was that cold war propaganda?

There goes your job's the coolness cred. Bummer dude.

Frosty The Lucky.

On May 2, 2016 at 4:20 PM, MikeL said:

Exactly what we'd expect some super-secret agent to say.  "Nothing to see here, folks.  Move along."  Or do you routinely blame things on marsh gas refracting light from Mars or the like?

I've always liked the idea of an AWACS plane.  Shear brilliance when you think about it, and a huge step up in warfare technology.  Being able to listen in to enemy chatter and shut off their cars and planes has got to come in real handy on the battlefield.  

How powerful are your laser cannons on those thing?  Have they upgraded the pulse rifles for the door gunners, or are they still in the 40-watt range?

On April 30, 2016 at 7:57 PM, MikeL said:

Haha unfortunately I'mnot on anything cool. I'm a crew member on the AWACS. I work on the computers in the jet so I get to fly but it's nothing glamorous. 

I was a computer software tester for AWACS between '82 and '85. I clocked over 900 hours in the simulator.  552nd AWACS