I Forge Iron

Hi All,

I wanted to brainstorm making a chess board, only difference is this would be for a different game... 

So I don't need a full 8 x 8 to start....  However I want to probably make a board that goes either 5 x 5, or 6 x 6 as the first board too see what I can come up with..

The forged in look would be the goal. Does anyone have any suggestions about creating a metal board. Been Brainstorming and looking for a push in the right direction...?

Woven strips.  Or punched plate, sink in the alternating squares with a square tool under a big hammer or press.  Or incise a grid of lines with a hot chisel into plate.  Or cut (your choice of techniques) alternating squares out of plate entirely and inlay some other material.   Or acid etch or sandblast alternating textures.  A grid of wires in tension held in place by big forged rivets...

Thousands of ways to skin a cat. 

Make squares in brass and copper. Make them in a rough shape first then solder them together to a block using tin solder. File, or if you can machine, to square section. Separate the squares again. Assemble on a pre-tinned back and heat so solder tacks again. Take off solder on top by emery cloth and polish. If you use electric type solder you can heat on the kitchen range in an old pan and you can adjust any misalignement when in the pan..

If I was going with a sheet of metal I would probably etch the board. The problem with forging it is getting it to sit flat afterwards as any place that will get stretched will want to "pop" up/down from the flat. If I was going to use hand forged squares I would make them individually, anneal them and flatten them and then cut to final size.

you could make 2 blocks of different consistency damascus and cut them into 1/4" slats. then weld them to a sheet metal base and heat to smooth out the edges. Sand and acid bathe the final board to bring out the different color blocks of the 2 different types of damascus. Say 1084/15N20 for the first set and maybe a 1095/15n20 alternate pattern for the second?

• 1 month later...
On April 27, 2016 at 0:45 PM, Michael Cochran said:

I like Thomas' idea myself.

Ditto. I play a lot of chess and have a roll up canvas board. The chain mail idea fits real well for portability and it's a great hidden carry mace too!

7 hours ago, Donniev said:

Would using chainmail create an issue with the pieces wanting to sit flat though?

Stick small magnets to the underside of your pieces and create your own version of an early travelers chess set:)(if you want use lodestone for authentic 'feel')