I Forge Iron

"On The Beach" blacksmith survival game.

Frosty

Hmmm. I went back through game land and it seems a lot of the survivors of the Minnow aren't around. I think Glenn must've found the professor and they're building a helicopter or something. Steve2md must be exploring up the creek maybe with RLG and JHCC. Notown, Slag and John in Oly are who knows where I haven't heard from Notown since bed time night one.

Anyway, by my accounting there are at least 6 guys in the company currently. Most took advantage of the relatively intact shed roof to bring in 8 sheets of roof tin. The axe project is coming along nicely, Thomas' CF bellows is doing the job well enough nobody is experimenting with the self drafting forge ala Weygers.

The traps have produced another days grub but the water's looking kind of rough even in the bays. Nobody has seen deer tracks or sign made since they hit the beach they must be staying away. Even the bear must think you're too noisy but you never know they can be pretty curious.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So nights setting. I suggest we prepare a team of a few people to go deeper into the island on an expedition to see what they canfind in terms of game. Perhaps make a few spears or an atlatl and some cordage for small snares.

Take one of the sheets of tin and roll it up into a chimney. It should be 8-10 feet tall and produce enough draft to keep a fire up to forging heat as long as you keep feeding it wood. Any metal can now be used to make tools, using rocks for anvils and hammers. One of the first tools would be a better hammer.

Morning light would send out pairs of individuals (safer that way) ias search parties to establish available resources. Material should be collected for a smoke signal in case boats or aircraft wonder near. 

As the search parties return they compare notes, what resources are available, what direction, and how far, much like honey bees returning to the hive. The group then decides on the best plan of action to gather in the resources, and to send out other search parties in yet other directions. This time the search party is instructed to mark trails and use arrows to point back to the base camp. This will keep other parties from duplicating the search zone, getting lost and or turned around.

Bear signs are good as bears eat on smaller animals. Just be careful not to interrupt the bears dinner while he is eating.

If the explorers follow Glenn's suggestion about comparing notes like bees I want a video of the dance! Oh wait Glenn you've been gone for 3 days, what did you find? Oh no, please don't dance.

Those aren't  bad suggestions at all but so far nobody has either elected or offered to be a leader in the group. Fortunately until the weather started to go downhill living's been pretty easy.

Oh OOH! I heard the word atlatl!

Has anybody set a snare? Know how?

I forgot one of the RPG game rules so common I didn't think to spell it out at the beginning and have been cutting slack I shouldn't. You MUST tell the GM (me) what you are going to do BEFORE you do it or it doesn't count. Saying you did something today doesn't count unless you said it at daybreak.

So far only two folk have said what kind of shelter they made, with the wind coming up you other guys are discovering your "shelter" isn't. Tomorrow I'm not going to tell you if the traps have crab or fish UNLESS you check them at low tide.

Are you guys reading what I've been telling you about conditions? I hear guys planning on exploring tomorrow while the ONLY people who have a clue what might be coming, the Skipper and Mate, are scrambling like crazy building a shelter and gathering wood. I put them out of touch but within sight for a reason but if you're going to ignore Gimme clues. . . The battery on that cell phone is dead, you can't see what they're doing anymore.

GM Frosty

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Steve2md must be exploring up the creek maybe with RLG and JHCC.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry, I got distracted by a real world damascus jewelry project / orders. I'll likely have to be eaten by a bear or something since this project is going to be at least a week of full days..

1 hour ago, Dogsoldat said:

was there a fire axe somewhere in the fishing boat that was being pilfered?

Were you on the Minnow? I don't recall.

Od: Sure the skipper and mate know you're there what can they do they're shipwrecked too. You did find an old orange tent.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well we should defintely set up the materials to completely weather proof our shelter. The tent can also be used to help weather proof temporaraily. I believe we have a good supply of wood already. We could use the tent to cover the wood so It will stay dry if we wanted to. I defiinitely think we should delay our expeditions until the weather passes. We should gather up our traps so they dont go away, and gather materials that would be needed to do things inside the shelter, like making spears, cordage, etc. I will also start to make an ataltl. 

(How many nights now, 3?)

Having washed up slightly apart from the rest by a trick of the tides and currents, I find myself alone. I'm not sure where I am, but I have found a bucket in which to carry water. I bed down at night by getting low, out of the wind and covering myself with detritus. There is a creek nearby. I have a pair of eyeglasses which may have allowed me a chance to make a fire for warmth. I smell smoke from another fire as of night one but haven't located its origin. I am uncertain about food sources at present, although I do recognise the fiddleheads. Have I survived thus far, and if so, what is around me that I can use to find my way to the group? I'm contemplating picking a direction and following the coast for lack of better options.

I'm telling the rest that I am likely to go into a coma soon and there is not anything they can do about it. They are welcome to go through my pockets.

I'm suggesting we improvise a wood stove from some of the large metal cans or cannery detritus and the stove pipe; keep more smoke out of the shelter and make is safer for folks to cuddle up to the stove to stay warm---especially if they are unconscious...  Using the large metal cans we should be able to have a flat spot for cooking...or  stove pipe---any trace of a wood stove where the stove pipe was?  I realize that the pipe probably went with the roof while a wood stove would be heavier and not move as easily; but tsunami don't worry about  trifles!

(Glen; why roll up roofing tin---that we need for shelter, when stove pipe was identified in an earlier post?)

Well, seems there're only a couple left in camp. I don't blame folk for wandering off if they followed the creek they could've followed the little valley all the way to the other side of the island. No telling how many survived last night's storm I'll roll a die after they describe how they sheltered up and NO you didn't find a cave or old cabin.

As the weather eases come mid morning you see the Coast Guard Cutter Mustad anchored in the far end of Sawmill Bay sheltering from the storm in the Islan's lee. With much jumping and waving about you get the attention of a watch stander and they send a Zodiak to investigate. Thomas is in a full blown coma and they evac him to the ship's sick bay and hope for the best. You oint out the Skipper and mate on the island and they send the Zodiak after them.

A ship's officer questions the two of you remaining in the Company about the Skipper. It seems he didn't bother to file a float plan so it was several days before one of his creditors, looking for a payment discovered the Minnow gone from her berth. A little detective work found records of the fishing party, names, rates, day and time of departure and expected return. By then the weather had socked in hard enough it wasn't possible to search in light planes and helicopters are still working closer to the common fishing grounds used by party boats.

Looks like the Skipper might be in for some brig time out of this little escapade provided none of his passengers die in which case manslaughter is likely.

The ship's steward shows you to the showers and sets to getting you clothed and ready for a health check by the ships doctor. After Thomas has been seen to of course. In passing he asks why you didn't hang the ripped up old orange tent from the scrub willow for a distress beacon. He compliments you on making a pretty comfortable and weather proof camp and that nobody looks like you lost much if any weight.

For now the Mustad will remain at anchor and sound her horn so survivors can home on the horn. The captain is dispatching two of the hard bottom inflatable Zodiak launches to search the coastline from the water. As soon as the weather breaks the ship's helicopter and light planes will start searching the island's interior.

The Skipper and Mate are brought in safely after about an hour in a "the Coast Guard are the only people crazy enough to do it," crossing.

Frosty The Lucky.

26 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just think you can tell folk you can survive things in your sleep that wipe out most others.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry my weekends can be kind of busy from time to time,should have replied sooner i also should have been more clear about "my" shelter from the get go.I was always taught to line a structure with "an arms' length/thickness of leaves and branches from the outside and line the inside/ground with soft evergreens. i was hinting towards the orange tent...but some people wanted to go exploring.I think if we do another one of these there should be a set # of people in the group and a basic layout of how things work(this isn't the usual format but if everyone is on the same page we can be more linear).I REALLY enjoyed this!

would they be carrying insulin?  It goes bad over time, has specific storage requirements and has rather a restricted usage.  And yes I wear a medic alert and carry a card in my wallet (though the insulin pump is a dead give away and if it has any charge left can give my usual dosages.)  Ah well better than bear fodder!

NO sweat OD, I figured everybody I hadn't heard from got involved with real life. It's been decades since I played RPGs and GMed anything. Any lack in the game is mine to claim. I didn't start laying out ground rules till day 3 You played well. I made a point of the tent being pretty ripped up and bright orange as a "hint" to use it as a distress banner. The tarps should've been enough to weather proof a group shelter.

I don't know if the Mustad is still in service even Thomas but CG vessels cutter and up have pretty complete doctor's office, pharmacy and surgeries. They have to handle some serious stuff up here. However, Sawmill Bay is about 2-3 hours max from a hospital by fast boat, 45 min by chopper.

Latouche Passage is or was a regular patrol route for the CG, the Mustad dropped in for a visit a few times while we were drilling there. Once while we were drilling on Latouche island. I have an amusing story to tell about the PWSAC hatchery, the Mustad and the 4th. of July.

If we do this again I'll see if I can get myself and the game organized better. I'll have to put out a call for guys who do this more often, maybe we can get a GOOD Game Master.  ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Still a good premiss and a better idea for a blacksmith tv show.

Survivor blacksmith. Probably a team event or the show would have to be shot in decades, instead of years. Better than Junkyard Wars but similar. Less contrived options, real power problems. 

Post apocalypse Dave Gingery from top to bottom. How long would it take to make a metal shop from a dead town? 

Yes, we need MacGyver AND the professor..... (new models of Ginger and Mary Anne appreciated also).

100_1378.JPG

You think we'd get many contestants for my version of survivor? Fly 6 contestants to a location. Weigh them as they get off the helicopter. Return in one month and the person who lost the least weight wins. There'd be film crews and medical available of course, we want the TV ratings and don't want people dying unnecessarily.

We don't want the Professor on the set, I could've had the Minnow ready to go home in hours, it was a little hole above the water line. :rolleyes:

MacGyver might be fun, see if any of the silly stuff on that show works. Bet you couldn't get his writers anywhere near Blacksmith: Beach, Canyon, desert, Island, Jungle, Forest, etc.

As creator I get my own helicopter, pilot and comfy place to stay during the shoots. B)

Frosty The Lucky.

I think it was a fun experiment although I too was preoccupied with day to day life "in the real". Brought me back to my nerdier days in school .... playing AD&D and Rifts in the library or science room. Thanks for doing this Frosty.