I Forge Iron

Ideas on these forge item

was it found with a metal detector? I also metal detect. first pic- some melted aluminum, second pic-looks like some melted lead, on top of an old stove lid, not sure exactly what the bracket thing was on. third pic-? fourth pic-some square nails and some other random things that I am not sure about, fifth pic-looks like the same bracket item, a piece of cast iron off of an old kettle, a couple square nails, melted aluminum and brass- I might be wrong. Sixth pic- some sort of hook item/farming piece? seventh pic-old bottle, bricks, square nails, crumpled brass hinge, some twisted wire eight pic-stove lid, and crumpled brass hinge, ninth pic-a couple washers and some large hunk of steel or cast iron tenth pic- the same bracket thing and crumpled hinge eleventh pic- another pic of the decorative bracket and some twisted wire twelfth pic- not exactly sure thirteenth pic- also not sure fourteenth pic-looks like a large square nail. some of this I am probably wrong about, but thought I would try.

Littleblacksmith

1 hour ago, Michael Cochran said:

The last one looks to me like it used to be a spike of some sort. I see an everyday piano hinge and some scrap wire. There are a few pieces that have me curious but most of all the triangular shaped piece. I don't know why but I really like it. Do you know what it is or where I came from?

The last one is hammer I broke I belive retriveing it. Thank you so much for telling what the hinge is form. The triangle piece is a wrought iron final. 

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

was it found with a metal detector? I also metal detect. first pic- some melted aluminum, second pic-looks like some melted lead, on top of an old stove lid, not sure exactly what the bracket thing was on. third pic-? fourth pic-some square nails and some other random things that I am not sure about, fifth pic-looks like the same bracket item, a piece of cast iron off of an old kettle, a couple square nails, melted aluminum and brass- I might be wrong. Sixth pic- some sort of hook item/farming piece? seventh pic-old bottle, bricks, square nails, crumpled brass hinge, some twisted wire eight pic-stove lid, and crumpled brass hinge, ninth pic-a couple washers and some large hunk of steel or cast iron tenth pic- the same bracket thing and crumpled hinge eleventh pic- another pic of the decorative bracket and some twisted wire twelfth pic- not exactly sure thirteenth pic- also not sure fourteenth pic-looks like a large square nail. some of this I am probably wrong about, but thought I would try.

Yes It was found with a  metal detector.The stove lid is unrelated to the issue.

Those objects are a pewter splash a wrought hand forged items.  I hope a smith on this site can help me learn about these objects

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

On April 22, 2016 at 3:35 PM, starbits said:

Top left in Pic 1 is magnatite an iron ore (also in 2,4,5).   Top and bottom in pic 4 as well as most of pic12 are slag.   

Really ? I thought it was a chunk of wrought. What makes you say so ?

Real wrought iron is a fibrous material; think of it as being a ferrous type of fiberglass;  It will have "green stick fractures" and show lineations in the rust.  The  bi directional rolled Byers process wrought iron has a "platy" fracture that looks like a lot of small squashed plates.   Now wrought iron has a very large range of quality with coarse grades having large chunks of slag in it and the fine grades can have over 100000 ferrous silicate spicules per sq inch which affect how rusting looks as well.

21 hours ago, notownkid said:

scratch the connecting rod and make that a hook, could be anywhere I've seen something that as holding shutters closed at a French & Indian era Fort, Fort #4 Charlestown NH.  I'm sure there were hundreds of jobs for this size hook.

The latch or my hook with coins what is are you talking about 

On 21 April 2016 at 8:22 AM, mattlock said:

The last one is hammer I broke I belive retriveing it. Thank you so much for telling what the hinge is form. The triangle piece is a wrought iron final. 

I think you will find he means the hing is called piano hinge rather that referring to its use. 

it may be from a piano but more likely from any other hinged thing.

• 2 weeks later...