I Forge Iron

what if you were left handed?

I like a left hand set-up. Left hand position anvil (horn to my right) and left hand crank blower (crank on my right) 

I suppose there are advantages to either method but I was wondering if any others are right handed and prefer the lefty set-up?

Namely;  I don't swap tongs(hands) when I rotate towards the anvil. And my hardie cutter isn't near my hammer hand.

I never understood the blower placement description in the Canedy Otto catalog ; right handed Smith's the blower is set up with such and such a pipe (standard) but left handed blower pipe (and tuyere) are furnished as special equipment. 

Why did smiths want the blower (and bellows) on the left if they were right handed? To exercise that arm?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had the privilege of using a hand crank blower so I cannot comment on that but I can the anvil. I use my anvil with the horn to the right. I didn't know when I set it up that there was a 'wrong' way to point it so I just put in down and put it to work. I rarely hold the tongs (or welded handle) with my right hand unless I'm trying to get an even heat for patternwelded billet. Even then I usually just use my left because I usually have my hammer in hand so that I can get right to work when it's reddy. 

Well. Yea. That makes sense. You have a gas forge or maybe electric blower but I was taught making horse shoes with horn to my left and that is how I do it but almost everything else I use an anvil with horn to the right.

With the bellows lever on my left I  have to remember to back away from forge to turn left, to the right handed anvil ,otherwise the lever plants itself onto my forehead. I usually rotate right, to the left handed anvil.

The times I've used coal I worked the crank where it was but preferably with my left hand. That put my left hand closer to the tongs and the few times I needed tongs in my right hand didn't change the balance of convenience.

The horn is usually to my left or aimed straight at me. Largely because it puts the hardy hole to my right where I'm swinging my hammer. This makes it easier for me to cut perpendicularly to stock or fuller straight. It's easier to align stock lengthwise on the anvil face up to the point of using the point on the horn.

However, those times I'm turning rings or straight bends I put the horn to my right. This way I'm driving into the widening conic section of the horn and it's much easier to keep things turning straight. Working the other direction tends to make the work slip towards the narrower section. Force ALWAYS takes the path of least resistance so to prevent it turning a helix I have to lean out over the point and strike back towards myself. It's a LOT easier to step around the other side.

Other wise I don't use the horn all that much except as a bottom fuller to make drawing easier and that is most often done with it to your hammer side or MY right to prevent it drawing flat curves. Thinking about it, perhaps I put the horn to my left most of the time to keep it out of my way.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm right handed. When I ran a hand crank blower, I cranked with my right hand so I wouldn't have to swap hands with my tongs. The first time I used an anvil, the horn was to the right, so the habit stuck. I really don't have the issue of bashing my hip on the horn, so it's not a big deal to me 

I am rong handed - horn goes to my right, forge to the right of that. Can't stand on the opposite side of the anvil at present - when I remodel the smithy, I will see how THAT works. I don't think that I will like it though.

If I had a hand cranker, I reckon I would crank with the right hand - why would I use the rong hand?

Robert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
addition

I am right handed. Crank the blower with the right, hold tongs/steel in the left. The anvil is to my left. I like to work from the heel end of the anvil with the horn facing away - just my choice, it's comfortable that way. Probably not 'correct' but that's OK.

Speaking of left-handedness, I was making a heap of simple S hooks from 8mm round bar for plant hangers and I thought I would just try drawing one point using the hammer in my left hand. I was surprised how hard it was. Took me about five or six heats, a few missed hammer marks, and just very little control or power. Forearm muscle cramped up too. It was a good exercise to perhaps know how it feels for a beginner. Don't know if any of you guys are ambidextrous ... for me it was ambidisastrous.

Ausfire, that is the European way (Czech, German, etc.)  It is much more efficient, especially for far side and near side blows.  It is hard to get used to but once you do you will see the advantages.  I am left handed and actually work all around the anvil, depending on the application.  It seems that the natural tendency is to stand facing the side of the anvil, I don't know why but I also don't know why we hit the anvil face every 3rd or 4 blow, although I have heard all the explanations, (keeping the rhythm, etc.).  Watch Tech Joe some time.  He stands at the end, at the side and switches from hand to hand.  I have gotten to watching to see how many times he does switch.

Took a 50 pound box of 8 penny nails to teach my right hand to swing a hammer. At first I would hit everything but the nail, but by the time I got to the bottom of the box I was doing OK right handed.

You trained your primary hand to use a hammer. You CAN train your off hand, just takes a while. (grin)

3 hours ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

I am left handed and actually work all around the anvil, depending on the application. 

Yeah, me too.

As I was reading the above posts, I kept thinking about anvil orientation.

My "go to" anvil, is a #177 Peter Wright, mounted on a white oak stump.

It's surprisingly easy to grab the anvil at both ends, and simply "walk" or rotate it into whatever presentation I find most useful, for any given job.

I honestly don't have a "preference", in that regard.

Having never used a hand-cranked blower, I just don't know if that would make any difference.

I'm right-handed. Anvil has the horn facing left. Forge is to my left as I face the anvil. I'm currently using a mechanical blower, but all the times I've had a blower with a hand crank or lever, it's been on the left (i.e., on the side of the forge away from the anvil). Gives the hammer arm a bit of a respite, I can use my right hand to grab whatever anvil tools etc I might need for the next operation, and the crank or lever isn't in the way as I move the workpiece to the anvil.

I am right handed, I use my left hand on the bellows, leaving my right hand free to manipulate both irons and coals. Both my anvils are cuboid which makes them anvildextrous! I can use a hammer in my left hand but not as effectively. When eating I hold my knife and fork in what for me is the correct hands but conventionally wrong.

good thing about being left handed is that you get pretty good at using both hands since most of the world is right handed. kind of like forced ambidexterity. I have two anvils that face opposite ways and only really thought about it now because of this thread. I hammer with both hands. right hand for power left hand for finesse. slowly getting better 'smithwise' with both.

At family meals in a restaurant, my brother seats me so as to not interfere with my fellow diners, even though I have no problem switching over to the conventional configuration.

Any other Lefties notice that most metal working files are designed for right-handers?

Robert Taylor

I'm left handed.....hand crank (or switch to blower) is on my left (hammer hand), anvil is to my right, forge in the middle.   Right hand holds tongs, etc.  I stop cranking with the tongs holding the steel, picking up the hammer as I turn to the right an place the steel on the anvil.  One man shop I don't have to worry about other people in the way.

Right handed I prefer to crank the blower with my right hand and tong the metal with my left; that way when I go to the anvil my right hand is free for the hammer and no switchovers are required.  Smithing has increased the dexterity of my off hand markedly over the decades.

I am right handed, the anvil has the horn to the left as you look at it and I have the forge to my left at a quarter turn, the tongs in my left hand and hammer in the right, a quarter turn to the right and I am in business.

When I am using bellows I pump with my left hand.

1 hour ago, Anachronist58 said:

Any other Lefties notice that most metal working files are designed for right-handers?

Robert Taylor

Many hand tools have a "right-hand bias".

I've noticed this phenomenon most clearly, as it relates to shovels, axes, sledge hammers and pitchforks.

None of those tools were ever made to suit me.  B)

28 minutes ago, SmoothBore said:

Many hand tools have a "right-hand bias".

I've noticed this phenomenon most clearly, as it relates to shovels, axes, sledge hammers and pitchforks.

None of those tools were ever made to suit me.  B)

SmoothBore, there may be some other additional type of bias in "play".......

Steve, sometimes a right-hand attack angle is the only way to get it right.

I am right handed. I use an electric blower. Always stock in my left; hammer in my right.

Forge to my right, anvil to my left and fairly close to the forge. I have a quarter turn to turn between them.

North Swedish anvil.  Round horn to my right. Square horn and hardy hole to the left. (So there is little risk to hit the hardy with the hand)  

23 hours ago, SmoothBore said:

Yeah, me too.

As I was reading the above posts, I kept thinking about anvil orientation.

My "go to" anvil, is a #177 Peter Wright, mounted on a white oak stump.

It's surprisingly easy to grab the anvil at both ends, and simply "walk" or rotate it into whatever presentation I find most useful, for any given job.

I honestly don't have a "preference", in that regard.

Having never used a hand-cranked blower, I just don't know if that would make any difference.

Your like me........anvildextrous!

23 hours ago, SmoothBore said:

I'm left handed but prefer to swing the hammer with my right hand, unless my arm is tired, then I switch to the left.  I can swing equally accurate with both and both feel natural, guess I'm lucky for that.

I usually stand at my anvil with the horn to my left, but I have no problem working from the other side when it works better for me.

I crank my coal forge blower with my left hand and use tongs with my right usually.

After reading back through all of that.......man am I screwed up :D!