I Forge Iron

My homemade tools

Hi, just thought I would post a quick picture of the tools I have been making over the past few weekends since I got my anvil and mini forge.  The post might help encourage beginners like me to have a go.

Mild steel tools: hardy fullering multi tool (4 profiles), small drifts, handled rivet maker 6mm, pritchel hold fast (not shown), my first 6mm rivets, 6mm tenon monkey tool, hardy hot cut, hardy bending pins

Car leaf spring tools: nail header

16mm car coil spring tools: short 6mm round punch, long punch/drift.  These were quenched in water, and tempered back to a yellow oxide colour at the tip.

I made the long punch by copying images on the web but not exactly sure what I ended up with!  I was hoping I could punch a slit with it?

Might make a square drift for making mortices next.  Any other suggestions for generally useful tools welcomed but I guess most people make them as needed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Haven't really had to use any to make the other tools (with exception of the nail header, used the square drifts), so don't really know yet. On second thoughts, I did use the small punch to drive two metal bands onto a carpenters maul that I made and the tip did not get damaged, so maybe the treatment worked.  

I think I am ready to try some tongs, then I can put the fuller to use and see if it works.  I have also acquired 7lb of 2" square 1045 for my first hammer but don't know how that will go in the small forger and on the small anvil - looks like hard work.  If I could make an adze by reworking a shop bought hammer, I would be happy, so maybe I'll try that one day.

are these your first projects? if so, than you're a natural-if that's even possible. they look really nice!

Littleblacksmith

Using an adze for making hammer handles would work but a draw knife could offer better control and work easier. Draw knives are not too difficult to forge  I have bought several at flea markets. They were not too expensive and required just a little work to recondition them. But that was in Montreal, a decade ago. "Just sayin".   

SLAG.

Edited by SLAG
correcting an error.

5 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

are these your first projects? if so, than you're a natural-if that's even possible. they look really nice!

Littleblacksmith

Thanks for the positive feedback.  Yes, first blacksmith projects but I am a DIY welder from long ago, also an avid student of YouTube :-)

4 hours ago, SLAG said:

Using an adze for making hammer handles would work but a draw knife could offer better control and work easier. Draw knives are not too difficult to forge  I have bought several at flea markets. They were not too expensive and required just a little work to recondition them. But that was in Montreal, a decade ago. "Just sayin".   

SLAG.

Hi Slag, have a draw knife that gets some use.  The handle on this diy maul was made with one and a side axe last weekend.  I was wanting a small adze for bowl carving, which I can't do with my current tools.  Australian seasoned timber is like iron so needs some heavy duty roughing out tools.  I have seen some made from a car leaf spring in an elbow adze, or a regular one from a ball pein hammer.

image.jpeg

G-day Dunk_c,  

Nice carved handles. Hand adzes are very handy. If any of your wood carving requires some concave carving consider scorps, and inshaves. They do a great  job, with lots of control and ease of use. Craftsmen in North America can get them from Constantine, Leigh Nielson tools, Garret-wade, Leigh-Valley Tools, and sometimes, even, big box stores such as Home Hardware, & Lowes. I am certain that Oz. has its own specialty tool sellers. Smithing a hand adze, push knife or scorp would be fun projects. Many Australian woods are spectacular. (& very expensive state side). I'm jealous.

Had several buddies from Townsville. Cairns, And Brisbane, living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada many years ago.

Carry on doing great creative work like the items in your photos.

Regards,

SLAG.