I Forge Iron

Death of Amina Chatwin, Author of "Into The New Iron Age: Modern British Blacksmiths"

Alan Evans

Sad to report, but one of blacksmithing's staunch friends and supporters died last week.

Amina was well known to many blacksmiths around the world, from her attendance at conferences, through her articles in The British Blacksmith and The Anvil's Ring and the major book  "Into The New Iron Age: Modern British Blacksmiths".

Born in 1927,  she bought her first Apple Mac in the mid 1990s and taught herself to use Quark Express. She not only wrote the book; but took the photographs; did the page layout and published the book in 1995. An extraordinary tour de force, especially given her background as a Dancer, Puppeteer and dress shop owner! 

She had become interested in ironwork though her interest in ancient art, through archaeology and industrial archaeology. Her first book "Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork" was written and published in 1975. She was a past chairman of The Historical Metallurgy Society and past president of The Gloucestershire Society for Industrial Archaeology.

Before her death she completed the text of another major book tracing the history of ironwork in Britain. She had postponed the completion of this work in order to write "Into The New Iron Age" . Her executors are hoping to publish this book in the future.

Michael Roberts and I will attend her cremation representing her blacksmith friends.

There will be a celebration of her life, in a service at Christchurch, Malvern Rd, Cheltenham GL50 2JH on 20. April at 1pm.

Alan

Thanks for posting this Alan, she was a very gracious lady and it was an honour to have met her on several occasions.

Hopefully the executors will get the book published and then there will be something else for future generations to be appreciative for, and reward and reinforce marking her endeavours and contribution  to, and on behalf of, the ironworking community. 

• 4 weeks later...

A great shame that I have only just found this forum, which came up when I googled "Amina Chatwin" after hearing of her death via "British Blacksmith". Pauline & I greatly liked and admired her - owning a ladies' dress shop is an unlikely entry to a love of ironwork ! We remember her in her sports car. Had we known in time, we'd have gone to her Memorial Service. 

1 hour ago, Michael Rowe said:

A great shame that I have only just found this forum, which came up when I googled "Amina Chatwin" after hearing of her death via "British Blacksmith". Pauline & I greatly liked and admired her - owning a ladies' dress shop is an unlikely entry to a love of ironwork ! We remember her in her sports car. Had we known in time, we'd have gone to her Memorial Service. 

Welcome aboard Michael, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many IFI members live within visiting distance.

I wish you'd decided to check out Iforge under happier circumstances but glad you're here regardless. I'm going to take a terrible chance and ASSUME (GASP) you aren't the Mike Rowe of American TV's "Dirty Jobs", fame.

Do you practice the craft? We LOVE pictures, anything you'd let a child look at is good here.

Frosty The Lucky.