I Forge Iron

New Fuller

like it. why does it look like 1/2"(or so)was added to bottom of leg?

ranger springs inferior? my beater truck is 90 ranger long box and i have hauled more firewood and dirt in that thing than most would dare put in a full size truck and never tweaked a spring....or even burned up a clutch for that matter. I had such a load of dirt one day that even the sidedump truck drivers in the cut gave me a 'air horn ovation'! great old truck.

I had one.

No. This is 1/2" thick heavy truck leaf.

1/2" added? I dunno what you are looking at, but this is made from scrap steel. An assortment  of pieces if you will. And the truck spring is now in pieces too. That is, after I dun took a torch to it. I was short on my 3" wide x 1/2" thick spring so I had to go get some fresh "new" stock from a complete leaf assembly. All I had was the 4" wide and I wanted this to be a smaller/general purpose fuller.

Somebody dropped off a 1-ton pickup truck rear leaf set but that isn't 1/2" thick.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice

I need to make one of these just looking for leaf springs I only have half ton springs, don't think there thick enough. Have you made any different dies for it like square edge ones for tennons? Also what did you do for the heat treat on the dies is the top one differentially heat treated?  

Guillotines are excellent tools real multi-takers. Below is mine. It's not fundamentally different than yours S. It is a little more versatile. What I'd do differently is mount the shank so the bottom die rests over the center of the anvil near the edge. This would put more rebound energy into every blow and allow me to work at angles. The 45* guillotine allows my to use it cross ways or longitudinally. This one will fuller down the center of 6" stock.

Old pickup truck leaf spring dies.

Frosty The Lucky.

570a87e328cfb_Smithinmagician12s.jpg.0ab570a87fddfd2a_Smithinmagician14s.thumb.j

Nice looking unit there Frost.

Yes, I have different dies.I dont use the square often. I have seen folks use cutting dies. I don't see it but perhaps I will make a set and rediscover my youth. 

Nothing is treated. I don't cut the business ends with a torch. If I have to I will cut the opposite end of a die.

I cut spring with a band saw. The dies I use most are the fuller shown and a sharp butcher to cut. The butcher leaves one side straight the other end has the pinch off. I have a bunch of other dies I don't use.

Frosty The Lucky.