I Forge Iron

Tools into Canada???

Checking to see if anyone had any experience crossing the border(through customs) into Canada with the personal blacksmithing tools?? Going to  Peters Valley Crafts School for a  blacksmithing class, taking some of my tools to used (one tool box), but planning couple days in Canada as a side trip.. Readied  the customs regulations, don't see anything that would be prohibited??? Anyone else had experience crossing the border with your personal tools, thanks

The glitch is they might believe you are taking them in to do paid work--you'll have to battle a little to convince them that the tools are just along for the ride.  Have evidence of that such as class information and be prepared as to what you will do if they don't believe you.  Most likely the subject will never come up but that leads to part B.

As to taking stuff in, technically you are supposed to declare everything.  Your car is obvious but it's the stuff they can't see like laptops and such that are supposed to be declared. It might be a good idea to declare and get it in writing because when you come back into the states, you want to be able to prove you didn't buy the tools in Canada and owe duty on them.  

It shouldn't be a big deal overall, though--think of the crap people have their RVs filled with when they go on vacation.  Your best bet is to be honest from the start because it's the liars they want to nail.

Oh...and you need the enhanced driver's license or a passport now to get back in without hassles.  Stupid department of homeland paranoia stuff.

I used to go through the border about once a week but have only been through once a year or so lately.

I doubt you will have an issue getting your tools across, just make sure you don't have any flux chemicals. They might mistake the white borax for something it isn't!  Just have all the papers in order (Birth Cert, or Enhanced DL), and you should be golden to get across.  I go into Canada a lot, I live less than an hour from the border in Washington and it makes a great day trip, just be honest and don't act funny and you will be fine!

I bought a bunch of tools at Pieh when I was in Phoenix this Christmas and brought them back on the plane, didn't have any problems other than trying to keep the hammers from breaking my tequila in the same bag. I had some anti borax too and I told customs they didn't say anything but I don't think they looked in my bag either.

Good Morning, Bob

The Catch is; 'You Cannot Go TO Canada To Work' without a "Work Permit or Green Card"

I was turned around at the US Customs, one time. The Customs Officer said "If you are crossing to help your brother Move, You Can Not Cross". If I am going to the Race Track, It is always to be a spectator or a competitor, Never to help out anyone (even though you will help out).

You are ALWAYS going to visit someone/someplace. NEVER to WORK!!!  I always carry Tools, Never say they are to use for work or FOR SALE.

Neil

Good Morning, Bob

Bring your Passport. No problems. Anything else, it will take you quite awhile to get through.

Neil

One of the worst trips I ever had involves Canada and borders.

Visiting Vancouver we decided to cross into the U.S. to have a look at the Boeing factory in Seattle. The trip down was fine but trying to get back across the border was horrific. Lines of traffic banked up for miles. Luckily our mate knew of some back roads and he found another crossing with less congestion. Wasted a whole afternoon and evening travelling what should have been a few miles. :(

I live fairly close to the Canadian border and I and my friends have crossed it a LOT of times with little to no proplems.  Even back when I was an avid reenactor with a car full of oddball equipment.  Frank and quick honesty along with no plan to make any money on the trip are the keys, have your passport open to the photo page, and make eye contact.  Staying well away from weapons and drugs should go without saying.  Willfully breaking the law is a VERY bad idea.

If you have questions, call ahead and ask the person on the phone what the best way to approach your situation may be.  That way when some overzealous newbie border guard starts to give you a hard time you can say you called ahead for advise on the proper way to do XYZ and you spoke to John Smith about XYZ, showing that you are mildly ignorant of the complex rules but willing to try and follow them.  

I once bought a cheap 400# Peter Wright anvil out of a basement in Montreal and hauled it back to Vermont in the trunk of a sedan using the above strategy.  The border guard essentially sad "You're a blacksmith?  You bought a *what* in Canada?  What did you pay?  What's it worth? How old is it? Where was it made? England? That's not in the book. Who did you talk to on the phone?... Ok, do you have any alcohol in the car?  Have a nice day."

It helped that I am a middle aged white guy with no criminal record,  not really someone border guards are worried about.  YMMV.  Be honest about what you are doing and why, and don't cross the border with anything that you don't mind them siezing or fining you for.  

Do yourself a favor and do not come up here....almost all of us are terrible people. Just terrible. Sarcasm aside......Listen to the words of your most prominent village idiot Donald Trump if you are thinking of sneaking in illegally. According to him you get 8 years of hard labor if you get caught sneaking in to Canada .

4 hours ago, Prevenge said:

Do yourself a favor and do not come up here....almost all of us are terrible people. Just terrible. Sarcasm aside......Listen to the words of your most prominent village idiot Donald Trump if you are thinking of sneaking in illegally. According to him you get 8 years of hard labor if you get caught sneaking in to Canada .

8 years !  That seems a good deal, most 'smiths end up once they have started, with a life sentence of hard labour from then on.