I Forge Iron

Is a $140 hammer really that much better than a $40 hammer?

Pancho07

Having never used an expensive hammer I have no way of knowing and dont want to knock them, so to speak, but I've been wondering latey are the more expensive hammers that much better? How much more quality do you get from say a Brazael hammer than you would get from a cheaper but we'll made hammer? Or is it more so being able to say I have a tool made by someone famous?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my .02 cents but the craftsman makes the tools, the tools dont make the craftsman. that being said i feel there is something about using a Quality professionally made tool as opposed to a common made tool that makes it Feel better or you feel better about it. But if you know your tool and how to use it no matter what quality or whatnot you can do whatever is within Your ability .Cheap tools can be customized to be great tools in alot of cases. again just my opinion. 

Daswulf said it best, The craftsman makes the tools, the tools don't make the craftsman.  I have found some cheap tools to be great, and some expensive tools to be less than great.  I personally like my 45$ cross peen more than the 100$ one I bought.  Its all about what feels right in your hand, and knowing how to use your tools to the best of your ability. I have seen some serious craftsmanship all on simple homemade tools, hammers and all. 

Daswulf 's .02 cents is worth a lot more than that IMHO.   I've collected a bunch of hammers over the years.   Each one has its special characteristic  in shape, weight and balance. To this day I still prefer one of the first hammers I acquired.  I paid $2.00 that day It was used by the CCC prior to WW2 I have dressed the face and the pein and rehandled a couple of times.  I got it at a country auction around 1961.  The prior owner worked for the CCC  (Civilian Conservation Core).  My # 2 hammer is a Hofi Hammer bought here.

It seems to me that a $140 driving hammer custom made for a Farrier  might be justified.  They have special requirements for their work.  For general beating on iron the hammer is chosen mostly by what seems to fit the job you are doing atm. Personally I spread the same money over a number of hammers.   

Well said Charlotte. and even as you said to a point, over the years you made that $2.00 hammer fit you needs and reshaped and handled it to your needs. i do that sort of thing with many tools. you make the tool fit your needs, or fit you or your work, or all 3. learn, adapt, and overcome. you can use a Rock as a hammer and a rock as an anvil, and if your good enough, no one would know you didnt use a $140. hammer and a $2000.anvil.

I would love a Brian Brazael hammer mostly as I saw him make one when he was at the New England Blacksmith meet a few spring ago.  My favorite hammer was like Charlotte one of the first I picked up at a Barn Sale years ago.  It felt good that day and for a long time, then one day stupidity caught up  with me and I decided it needed a new handle as the old one was taped and loose.  New handle made it uncomfortable to use and modifying it didn't help.  It now lays on the counter beside the forge unused with its new handle staring at me.  Of course I burned the old handle before being sure the new would work. ( as I said Stupidity caught up and then ran over me) I use another early bought hammer that should have a handle but is isn't getting one.  I have a couple new ones my son has bought recently one with a fiberglass handle which is horrible.  I still buy every hammer I see at sales if cheap and have a pile needing handles to do when I get the chance.  Maybe the next guy will get the chance but I've saved them from scrap, That is my story to wife and I'm sticking to it!

I'm afraid if I had a Brazael hammer for $$ I'd have to carry it into the house everynight and lock it up in one of the gun safes or have it on the coffee table for show and tell with friends. 

If your mind can't discern where the metal needs to move and your eye can't guide your hand to make it happen, it won't matter how much you paid for the hammer in your hand.

No violinist starts playing on a Stradivarius, but a virtuoso can make even a mass-produced Chinese violin sound great.

my 2 cents

I am going to use a rounding hammer for example:

cheap hammer                             brazeal(or custer, steele, or maybe me...)

geometry:          - round face is round            - round face is squashed ball(more radiuses)

weight:              - 1.5-2.5 usually                    - any weight up to 6lbs

heat treat:            - risky                                     -very good

other: -I would end up putting in a different handle  - well set, good handle

looks:               -shiny                                    -awesome

process:              -drop forged                          - hand forged

cost:                 -40-70$                                -200-250$                     

Give a $400 hammer to an unskilled person and they can only produce to their level of knowledge, skill, and expertise.

Give a $40 or even a $4 hammer to some one with knowledge, skill, and expertise and they will produce to their level of knowledge, skill and expertise.

No one is going to ask if you used a $4 hammer or a $400 hammer to make the product. They are interested in the product because they like it.

It's more an appreciation of quality tools and honest work. I would be much more proud of a hand forged hammer, custom made to what my needs are. Does a 3 lb hammer from HF move metal better than any other 3 lber of the same geometry? No. It's the user who makes the tool earn it's keep. Even still, I would rather use a tool that was made with care and skill vs mass produced but I may be biased...I make hammers. Lol. I do not claim my hammers are going to make you better, but I I claim they will be more comfortable to use AND last way longer than a cheap hammer. I can also tell you exactly which alloy I use,how I heat treat and why. Myself and most(not all) hammer makers use alloys that are better (more expensive too), and more fit for a heavy use hammer than say the more common 1045-1050 range. Though over time, comfort becomes what you are used to. Even though I make any hammer I need or want I still want to buy one of Aaron Cergols $400 hammers because I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate craftsmanship and personal artistic direction in a hand forged tool. Not because I couldn't make the same hammer, I just want HIS hammer. Which brings me back to appreciating a quality tool made by a fellow Smith. My 2¢ 

Yes. True that.

Ok. For real. You have got to be kidding me. Most I find are 20.00 and lower. I dress them to ky standards.

There is this guy on eBay peddling the 1905 champion forge blower catalog For$ 45.00

So you can buy same catalog on Centaur Forge site for $ 9.00

wonder if the eBay catalog is better?

the most expensive hammer that I've bought was a 20 dollar hammer from Lowes, and it was terrible, compared to the one my dad found on the side of the rode. well, I guess that wasn't the cheapest hammer. I took a class from Matt Marti and we made a hammer and some other stuff for 100, but maybe that doesn't count because I wasn't just buying the hammer.

Littleblacksmith

What had gotten me curious was I have been wanting a rounding hammer, my first thought was to make one but I haven't been able to find the time to do it. So I started looking online and got quite a bit of sticker shock but was in tractor supply yesterday and picked up a job smart drilling hammer that I think I can modify. If not I'm out $15, if I can then that's 3 cents to some child in China that made it and if I'm anything it's charitable.

The tool preforms only to the capability of the user. As the user progresses in their knowledge, skill, and expertise they will want a custom tool that will allow them to do specific types of work.

An adjustable spanner (crescent wrench) will fit every nut and bolt out there. But I have 6 point and 12 point combination wrenches in metric, imperial, and even a set of witworth wrenches. Add the 6 point and 12 point sockets in metric, imperial sizes as well as impact sockets and you wonder why the adjustable spanner lives on the work table where it is handy, not in the drawer with the other wrenches and sockets waiting for a reason to see daylight, again.

Custom made hammers are a blend of the users need and the makers efforts to fill that need. Throw in the makers extra effort (read craftsmanship) to make the hammer a piece of artwork and you have both a better tool, but one that you can proudly display in you shop. The better tool just makes life a little easier, and it is nice to look at that tool and smile, remembering and thanking the maker for their efforts to make your life easier.

21 minutes ago, Glenn said:

The better tool just makes life a little easier, and it is nice to look at that tool and smile, remembering and thanking the maker for their efforts to make your life easier.

No Truer Words are Spoken.  I have a number of fully custom Target Rifles made for me 35-40 yrs ago by a Master of his trade, long since departed but not forgotten.  I show these to selected friends and as Glenn Said SMILE and silently thank him for his work and help in achieving my desired success.  A Friend (who also has some of his rifles) called me a month ago and reminded me that the "Old Master" as we called him had passed away 20 yrs ago that day, so he is not forgotten.  I shall have a nice hammer one day as well.

When I had read about the benefits of rounding hammers I made my own from several inexpensive hammers I had. 

I will locate one and snap a picture of it.

Same hammer. Opposite ends. I made three of these into rounding. Different weights.  I love them for heavier steel/quicker draw-out.

They sell these at the local farrier supply.  One rounded. One flat aka very slightly convexed. But I just make em from my huge collection of hammers.

20160326_201845.jpg

20160326_201833.jpg

Just now, SReynolds said:

When I had read about the benefits of rounding hammers I made my own from several inexpensive hammers I had. 

I will locate one and snap a picture of it.

Here's one I made from a flea market special. 

IMG_20160326_202748092.jpg

The handle has a small facet filed onto the same side as the flat face, so you can instantly know by feel which side is up.

IMG_20160326_202803282.jpg

Greetings All, 

In my 40 plus years I have made, modified , repurposed  many hammers.. BUTTTT 

Pictured below a birthday gift from Aaron and the brass blower handle from Black Frog.. SUPER GUYS 

I have other hammers from Arron and they are worth every penny.,  Is a Fender just a guitar?  

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

image.jpeg