I Forge Iron

H13 or S7 ?

The blacksmith supply sells tool steels. It's what folks buy to make tools I am told and nothing more. They really don't know. They just sell it. Is one better than the other for pritchels? H13 for hot work like creaser and pritchel right? and S 7 for a hardie ?

H-13 ad S-7 are good for what they're designed for but they're a BEAR to work and take pretty darned precise heat treatment. For the most part I have good luck with struck tools made from medium carbon steels. Just plain old steel works a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

That one real popular blacksmith who teaches class and posts YouTube videos working 1"round stock like it is 3/8 ; Brian .....? Says to make hardies from mild steel.  

I was trying to get an idea why they have two tool steels.

I buy pritchels and that's the way to go. I dont have to buy the tool steel of proper alloy and THEN work it into something. 

They don't even know why. 

I like H13 better it seems like I have better results with my low quality heat treatments. I think the tempering is more critical with the S7. They both work well for pritchels, they are both more forgiving when you let them get too hot then say  a less costly 10xx steel.  

Hardies I've always used what ever Jack Hammer bit was available.  driven punches I use cheap import sets for non critical sizes.  Hot work carving or exact hole dimensions I use H13 because I can forge or grind thinner and more precisely with the expectation tool will hold its shape.  I have also spoiled more than one piece of H13 by over heating while forging.  :lol:

The store is a farrier supply. Folks call folks who shoe horses a blacksmith.  Go to the horse track. Locate the building on backstretch labeled Blacksmith.  It ain't a guy making knives or candle cups. I don't agree but I cant change it.

So anywhoo. The store is a farrier supply and they ain't sellin' S1 so it must not agree with them and locals must not like it. But, I respect your reply and hope in time I can try out all the popular tool steels for myself.