I Forge Iron

Show us your Key rings

I thought this thread already existed, but could not find it even after an extensive search. Because of their popularity and learning content, I thought it may be a good idea to start one.

It is not often I get the opportunity to have some forge time these days, but yesterday the BMASW were at a public event demonstrating, and I made this selection from discs 2" diameter x 1/16" (16swg)

Quick to do and popular with visitors,  

56efda55e7208_Hatring.JPG.d884a4611a63b9  56efda720aa0f_Hatvariationsinstyle.JPG.5

56efda8001a33_HatforBushman.JPG.4e651275 56efdaa345724_HatforMountieoroldBoyScout  56efdab2a5ca0_HatforCowboy.JPG.2414575d0  56efdb560aac1_Tricornhat.JPG.6472d5d4c70 

Enjoy and lets see your key rings.

25 minutes ago, Dave51B said:

P3310001.JPG

how far did you make the cuts? I might have to borrow that idea if you don't mind;)

Littleblacksmith

Littleblacksmith... 3/8 square stock ( I make mine from 1/2" rebar) 2 1/2" long....top cut, 1".....bottom cut, 1 3/4"....remove 3/4" from one bottom leg. I found this info on IFI some where. If you want a different size stock, just use the same proportions.....I've made them out 3/4" down to 1/8"..... Search for Fredricks Cross.     Enjoy            Dave

48 minutes ago, Forging Carver said:

John those are so cool! How do you make those? I have read something a long while ago, I gotta find it again. Thanks

David Hammer is the guy I credit with this item, he has a good video on the sheep channel (ewe (you) tube) for all to follow, made in 2010, and this basic method can be easily adapted to produce various styles.

I punch the hole for the split ring, but these can be drilled after they are finished, the punching is probably the most difficult part as it tends to flatten the area around it which can distort the finished shape, do it when the brim is flat, and the hole distorts when you shape the brim.

Have fun trying them.

10 hours ago, Dave51B said:

Littleblacksmith... 3/8 square stock ( I make mine from 1/2" rebar) 2 1/2" long....top cut, 1".....bottom cut, 1 3/4"....remove 3/4" from one bottom leg. I found this info on IFI some where. If you want a different size stock, just use the same proportions.....I've made them out 3/4" down to 1/8"..... Search for Fredricks Cross.     Enjoy            Dave

Thanks so much, that really helped. Wow you said that  youve made them all the way down to 1/ 8 inch! Thats crazy!

Littleblacksmith

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

Das ... just a squirt of clear ruststop.

Thanks Aus. Any findings on how it holds up? Keychains do get abused in pockets, against keys, hand sweat and such. Just looking for something that holds up better then my wax formula.

Alright thank you John. Actually that is what I was thinking of and I just watched the video after I posted the previous post. I already have a plan that I am going to make one and then brush it with a brass brush to give a real nice golden hat. Thank you for reminding me of this wonderful idea!

• 9 months later...

This topic went quite dead after my last post so I try to revive it mainly out of guilt :)

These are my newest keyrings. Inspired by Colleen Du Pon's ammonites but rethinking the concept from my repurposing view. (So maybe: remmonites) Made of some copying machine parts. As supplying these parts was short I made the one in the right from some long (150mm / 6") self tapping screws, it's also scrap material. Thanks for watching:

Gergely

2016 11 csavart csigak logva.jpg

I agree, I also like the flower the best. I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but thought "who doesn't?". So, the only thing I would do differently would to close the little curl up more so that it is less likely to get snagged on clothing, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Littleblacksmith

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, littleblacksmith said:

I agree, I also like the flower the best. I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but thought "who doesn't?". So, the only thing I would do differently would to close the little curl up more so that it is less likely to get snagged on clothing, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Littleblacksmith

Agreed. It snagged the wife's dress the other day. Time to do a modification...