I Forge Iron

would this work?

Mark Ling

was wondering if ya'll think this would work for a blower on a coal forge, or if it would be to powerful, or to weak.

link removed

I probably wont buy it Evan if it does work because its a little far for me, but will be looking for one in the future if it is capable of a coal forge blower.

Littleblacksmith

00T0T_6oC1ytOLGGy_600x450.jpg

That looks very much like the bouncy house blower (air pump) that I have.  At full power that will probably be way too much air.  You can put a gate in to adjust the air flow.  Those things are made to run for hours against the pressure of a filled toy with kids bouncing around on it, so there's no problem with restricting the exhaust side (or inlet for that matter as I understand it) to reduce the air flow to where you want it.   I've only used mine in a forced air propane system and even with piping down to 3/4 of an inch at the burner I still have to gate the air down a significant amount.

Ideal low cost blowers, and relatively quiet. you will need an air gate, and an adaptor plate to bring exhaust port down to your required diameterto fit to tuyere.

Only downside is they are usually a plastic housing, so need to be sited away from heat or hot debris.

3 hours ago, Buzzkill said:

That looks very much like the bouncy house blower

that's what the add was advertising it as, thanks everybody so far!

Littleblacksmith

Check the sporting goods stores or sections of a big box for raft, mattress, etc. inflators. The 120v ones are less common and the 12v are all over. In either case they supply more than enough air for a good sized fire and you can divert air and adjust to what you need. I've been picking them up at yard, garage, etc. sales for years usually for under $1.00 often in the $1.00 for this box. One of these in 12v and a short piece of pipe and you can put a forge together anywhere you can dig to mineral soil.

Frosty The Lucky.

I temporarily installed a hair dryer on one of my forges (coal) and on low setting it was a ton of air. It was quiet and worked well save for all that air. White hot fire in short order. almost four inches deep firepot and rectangular in shape. Sloping sides.

I'd want to invest in  reostate such as a sewing machine treddle or household dimmer switch.  But I'm not thinking of giving up any of my old forge blowers.

It was nice to walk away and still have the fire growing in strength after I constructed it. Something I don't do with hand crank forge blower. And welding two pieces together would be a little easier as both hands are free to manipulate. 

has any one used a on /off foot switch with this kind of set up so its not always on put you piece in step on it once it stays on  then when yu take it out step again and it turns off like the  foot control for a christmas tree