I Forge Iron

Show us your favorite tool

In this topic, I ask for y'all to share with us your favorite tool to use in your shop and why it's your favorite.

Littleblacksith 

Well, it's pretty simple but I like my custom made bender for hooks. It got a fair workout today. Had a group of 80 schoolkids for demos. Split them into four groups - 15 minutes for each group. I usually make a double ended twisted S hook for them to take away. The bender I use makes a shepherd's crook type hook from 6mm square in no time at all. It's a favourite tool because it's fast when time is of the essence.

Your subject line implies that you have a favourite tool. Well?

seems from your avatar you have a bunch to choose from.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:22 PM, ThomasPowers said:

My bookcase in the house?

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:48 AM, mike-hr said:

The lightswitch

and the key to the door, they have all come with a lot of work & time. 

Having a gracious plenty of tools since I have been picking them up them for 35 years or so means I tend not to have a specific favorite tool; but rather specific favorite tools for specific tasks.  My favorite tool for heavy forging is a 55# Fisher anvil, my favorite tool for making forks is my 93# A&H hammer as it's heel is very thin, my favorite hammer for light general forging is a lynch collection european one, my favorite hammer for intermediate work is a 1500 gm swedish crosspeen.  For heavy work I like my 6.5" postvise that is bolted to a telephone pole, for light work and travelling I like my 4" post vises; etc and so on...However my bookcase full of books on historical ironwork and metals gets used for a lot of different projects.

Smithing wise, I would say my 260# Fisher, and that is because that is the anvil my Dad picked up when we started into smithing. It reminds me of him every time I use it. I also have a treadle hammer, as well as a straight peen that was made out at our community college.

But one of my all time favorite tools is my Hobart A-120 12 quart mixer. That has saved me lots of time since I found it in Craigslist a few years ago.

my favorite tool or thing would probably have to be my super sucker side draft forge hood. I do forge outside, but ever since my dad and I made it, forging has been MUCH more enjoyable. I do have some other tools I enjoy (100# Trenton, 5 1/2 post vice, my 3# cross peen that I've used ever since the firs day I forged, and so on) but the side draft forge hood is really helpful. I got the plans of anvilfire.com. the one in the pic is not mine but very similar, ya'll get the idea.supersuckerforgehoodinoperation.jpg?widt

Right now, I'd have to say my favorite is my Ultra Jig from Yesteryear Forge.  It's almost too much tooling and I'm still getting used to having all the options.  A lot of times I forget that I don't need to hunt for something to bend metal around because the Jig is sitting there on the shelf.IMG_3827.thumb.JPG.4ecc3e256a3acb4460d15

My two favorite tools are in my profile pic: my 148# Mousehole anvil and my 2.5# Sears Craftsman cross pein. These are two of only three tools I have left from my first foray into smithing as a teenager, and I still use them for every forging session.

I thought I'd lost the cross pein forever when my parents divorced and my family dispersed all over the country. Imagine my delight a few years ago when I found out that a neighbor had rescued it and was happy to return it to me.

12 hours ago, VaughnT said:

Right now, I'd have to say my favorite is my Ultra Jig from Yesteryear Forge.  It's almost too much tooling and I'm still getting used to having all the options.  A lot of times I forget that I don't need to hunt for something to bend metal around because the Jig is sitting there on the shelf.

that looks to complicated for me to use! Though it looks really nice! Did yesteryear forge make that!

11 hours ago, Nobody Special said:

My knife.

11203120_781080295339820_8110171278302355995_n[1].jpg

That looks nicely made. What did you make the lBade out of?was the handle just half inch mild snteel

6 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

that looks to complicated for me to use! Though it looks really nice! Did yesteryear forge make that!

Once you get one, you'll cuss yourself for waiting so long to get one.  Yes, made by Yesteryear Forge and worth every penny!

As  a full time blacksmith my favorite tools as those that have increased my profit margin and allowed me to make a comfortable living.  A good hot gas forge, a large power hammer (I have a 4b nazel) and a tumbler (for knocking scale of forged work)

9 hours ago, Francis Trez Cole said:

56ed8435e21eb_finishedhammer2.thumb.jpg.

My 1902 Champion power hammer a great Local find

your making me drool! I'm lucky if I can find a striker, and most of the time I end up the one striking.<_< man I want a power hammer, and if I did it would probably be my favorite tool. is it a 25 pounder?

Littleblacksmith

18 minutes ago, Francis Trez Cole said:

no 65#

even better!

Littleblacksmith

anyone else have a favorite tool?

Littleblacksmith

For me it is a draw. I take these two tools with me everywhere. The multi tool is the Victorinox Swiss Tool Spirit X and the knife is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 with black blade and cameo G-10 handles. These are my favorite tools becuase they go everywhere with me and are VERY useful. The knife can be used for anythingg from cutting open a box to slicing cheese. The multi tool, well it is just that. I can open root beer, screw in a loose screw, bend things with the pliers, etc. If they aren't helping me, then they are being used to help someone else.

image.jpeg