I Forge Iron

IM65 Utility Hammer

Pete (Crazy Ivan) and I have been working on a new air hammer here in the shop over the past few days. Most recently we've just been running it through the paces and tweaking where it needs to be tweaked. We're still working on a video of it in operation but probably still a few days off until I have time to edit our footage together into something informative and entertaining. Anyway, I figured I'd take a few pictures and show ya how she's looking. Tup is near 65lbs with a max throat of 13.5", plenty of room for top tools. Speed is 124 bpm, but it might be sped up with some compressor system modifications I'm considering that would benefit the entire shop. Don't worry, there'll be plenty more details in the video. The design and planning were our own, but drawing inspiration from the work of Ron Kinyon and Tom Troszak, the simple air hammer and bull hammer styles respectively. I've never seen one of Tom's bull hammers in person or really seen how they operate but I managed to find a few 20 second YouTube videos and stills which gave me enough concept to work from. The whole design itself requires a fair amount of rigidity, and without Pete's masterful welding I don't think we'd have pulled it off. That being said, can't wait to share a video with you guys, but until then enjoy some stills.

J

image.thumb.jpeg.500a35fe13ca4153c4cc085image.thumb.jpeg.7f89115d97690c77c0aede1image.thumb.jpeg.d189ace0f457e46fd733e24

image.jpeg

Much more control with it. No need to do the balancing act for softer blows. We were split between a wooden frame around the base of the hammer (for a heel rest) or a pedal. The pedal is great though. Idk why I don't see it on more hammers. 

16 minutes ago, arkie said:

The pedal you added to the ring is a really good touch.  So many hammers have only a ring and can be hard to control sometimes.  Bet it gives you more control.

3 hours ago, arkie said:

The pedal you added to the ring is a really good touch.  So many hammers have only a ring and can be hard to control sometimes.  Bet it gives you more control.

To add a little more to what Pete said, it was kinda a tough call between a wood ring going around the the base of the steel ring to give the control, but this system really gives us 180 degree on the fly vs anchoring something into the concrete which limits future positioning of the hammer. Either way, the ring itself was nice but didn't offer the control we were looking for so the pedal on the treadle is really kickin'

J