I Forge Iron

Reclaimed Wood Swage Block Stand

smfg_mendo

Alot of the older pics on here are not viewable anymore so I thought I would post up some pics of a very basic DIY swage block stand I built from recycled materials.

The main 4"x6" structure was made from the upper cross beam on a power pole. they are PT and oiled.

The straps are simpson post straps 20" long by 2" wide galvo steel. I had these kicking around the back yard in a bucket so didnt have to buy them, I had all the lag bolts as well.

I used a mixture of short4" lags and longer 12" ones to tie the beams together and anchor the simpson straps to the beams.

The Angle iron is 3/16" 1.5"x1.5" recycled from a very old bed frame.

It can lay flat or be stood up vertically in the middle slot to utilize the various side swages.

swage%20block%20_zps46235cas.jpg

swage%20block%202_zpsix7obqcu.jpg

IMAG1420_zpsjqtfbjh6.jpg

IMAG1421_zps3oig8vuo.jpg

IMAG1423_zpswtmfffbh.jpg

IMAG1427_zpsnmaif05o.jpg

IMAG1429_zpsnzkq82on.jpg

IMAG1430_zpsadnseiq4.jpg

Cut the angle iron BELOW the top of the swage block. It can keep you from loosing a finger when using a hammer or to a pinch situation. I would be concern when the swage block is on end and look for the same pinch possibilities.

Nice set up otherwise.

21 hours ago, Glenn said:

Cut the angle iron BELOW the top of the swage block. It can keep you from loosing a finger when using a hammer or to a pinch situation. I would be concern when the swage block is on end and look for the same pinch possibilities.

Nice set up otherwise.

Thanks for the advise, i did trim the corner brackets down below, as soon as my dad saw it he complained 

If you have a good supply of the crossarms you could probably work out a cutting plan that would allow you to run allthread through the holes and bolt it together.  I pick up a lot of pole fittings at my local scrapyard when the CoOp does a scrap run and use them in my shop (as my roof supports are utility poles and several of my anvil stands are just used oak 2x12's bolted together in 2 or 3 places.)