I Forge Iron

Name this tong

Lionel h

I need y'all's expert help on this one , can anyone tell me what the use of this set of tongs is , I got several sets of tongs from a junk store but don't know what these are used for ? I may reshape these for another use . Thanks for any help

image.jpg

On a second note the jaws are incredibly thick and heavy. Why so thick?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good one, I was just going to say "Wilbur" but that beats my smart Alec answer all hollow and heck there's even a pair of tongs behind Daffy.

On a more serious note, I concur, pipe or perhaps ring tongs and with the keeper ring on the handle it's for pretty heavy and or long work. Those are heavy duty tongs hand fatigue would be a concern.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a few pairs of jewellers pliers with one radiused and one flat jaw...they are used on curved pieces to adjust or form the curve with the flat on the convex side so that you do not make any bruise marks. 

I have used the same principle with scroll wrenches to prevent/reduce any bruising of the workpiece. Some times with a fixed spreader plate and sometimes with a pivoting one which conforms to the surface and lies tangentially.

The OP's tongs may just have been to grip a small bore pipe or a piece through a punched hole for instance? Only one jaw needed the extra work of rounding in order to fit inside, and he either adjusted a pair of flat jaws or made these fresh to suit the project.

Alan

• 5 weeks later...
On 2016-10-16 at 6:17 AM, Glenn said:

Did you folks notice that the pair of tongs was married.  Did you not notice the ring was attached?

The maker was lazy. In Germany this ring is called "Faulenzer"=Lazy one/someone who does not like to work.

Those bits are extremely heavy and out of proportion to the rest of the tongs on a pair of tongs that look well made.  I would suspect they are are for a special use.  Maybe as Thomas mentioned brazing or soldering, or perhaps tempering.  Another thought would be the bits are forming tools to make something or a pair of somethings.  The hot steel would be clamped in the tongs and the steel then hammered around the bits  for example you could make collars around the rectangular bit.