I Forge Iron

Can this be used for a forge?

Glenn

Please nobody slap me but I have one question. Why couldn't it? If someone gave me one I'd give it a shot but I wouldn't buy one just to find out. I'd be a little concerned it might put a little too much are so I'd have to set up a dump valve for the extra air and I'd also want to keep an extra battery charged at all times. The more I think about it I'd think that (without more in depth research) it could make for a good portable setup.

Those are all about velocity and not pressure.  You might find that the CFM drops to nothing with even a little back pressure.  At that price it's probably worth the experiment though.  If all else fails, you still have a handy little leaf blower.

I smile when I see "Lifetime service agreement "? They possibly have no idea what 'creative' uses it might be put to!

I know someone that used a famous brand top of the range cordless industrial grade drill/driver to power his manual boat winch after his 3rd exchange in 10 months they gave him a full refund and an exchange unit but asked him to please refrain from purchasing their products in future. They said that his expectations obviously differed from theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

you can use anything that moves air, but what you need to understand: after the novelty of listening to a loud blower or employing a "makeshift"/ crude forge, you soon discover that this isn't all it';s cracked up to be and become discouraged.

If you can bear it and become excited about the trade, then upgrade to a better forge and blower. I inherited a blacksmith shop. With equipment, so I can't say what it would be like to employ makeshift tools. Some folks use stuff like that but I'd have to wonder for how long.

• 3 months later...

It's my understanding that more and more neighborhoods are banning leaf blowers of all persuasions because of the noise.  I don't know what it is about leaf blowers that seems to attract folks who will spend thirty minutes moving three leaves from one side of their yard to the other.  Weed whackers and chain saws are awfully loud too but their users don't tend to dither about with them.

I have temporarily affixed a hair dryer to my steel-table top forge (fire pot/clinker breaker etc.etc.) I simply wanted the experience and knowledge of this common methology. So I tried it.

Far and away too much air. I had no way of controlling it/throttle it. if I had devised a dump gate to bleed off excess it would be fine. On the low setting it would be more air than I need and the noise was quite tolerable. Thus, yes. It would function well if I has devised a dump gate to remove the excess air with the twist of a handle.

I had to open up my ash dump which isn't at arms reach and is not intended for bleeding off excess air.

Contemporary forge 006.jpg

Contemporary forge 007.jpg

My son has purloined my small petrol leave blower I use for cleaning the roof gutters and uses it in his forge when he melts aluminum down. He reckons it works great. I asked him how hot it gets, (wondering if it blows so much air it would just cool things off) he reckons when he adds his oil drip feed in to the line the whole forge glows red...... 

He didnt know what I was talking about when I asked him if he he had changed his name to "Tim Taylor"