I Forge Iron

Something Different For Me

JPH

Hello:

Something a bit different from what I usually make..Experimental piece for book IV..1095 Electrite and L6 steels in my "Solar Storm" pattern. 11" long 1 3/4" wide blade. The curved fuller was a bugger to do but Augustus handled it better than I thought. I gotta love that guy..he's worth every cent I spent on him..

Forged phosphor bronze guard and pommel plate, with a rather nice piece of Red Deer antler for the grip. Overall length 17". Like I said..I usually don't make these sorts of blades but what the heck..gotta do a few for book IV..I have a reputation to live down to after all...

Feels wicked and extremely fast and responsive in the hand..This is a Big Guy.  Turned out OK for an experiment if ya ask me..I am not really "into" the Bowie type knife..to me they all look like a Seax..I am funny that way I guess..still it turned out OK.not too bad for a ham handed old Dog Face like me...

Hope these pics turn out.  Available on my website shortly.

DSC02400A.jpg

DSC02406A.jpg

DSC02403A.jpg

You are sure right!  It truly is not bad for a ham-handed old dog face like you! (;-)  Who is Augustus?  Just how did he handle that curved fuller?  Oh!  Do I have to buy the book to find that out?  Well then hurry up cause we are both OLD and I might not get to use the info if you dawdle like ya usually want to!

• 3 weeks later...

There is so much to like about this knife. It just flows smoothly from arc to arc. Your  pattern welding skills blow my mind. The area that immediately caught my attention was your ricasso. I don't know why. Maybe I see it as a bold statement. I can't explain what that might be. Thanks for posting this. 

Robert