I Forge Iron

Asking for design help for an anvil stand

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/8/2016 at 8:33 PM, JHCC said:

And now I've got an email out to see if I can use the MIG welder at the college theater's scene shop.

And the answer is YES, come mid-March. Gives me about a month to get the pieces cut out and to read up on MIG welding.

6 minutes ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

Cutting the webs is a way to make it smaller.  If you need a base (the top) as large as it is now and you will be welding a plate on top you would have plenty of surface to weld and have a good strong stand.

Yes, the plan is to make it smaller; the top doesn't need to be anywhere near as big as it is right now. I figure that welding the webs together down the vertical axis will also increase the rigidity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, here are the pieces, all ready to weld; I'm hoping to get into the shop on Tuesday.

The little pieces on top are for some accessories and fittings that I've not discussed here. If they work out, I'll have photos.

IMG_20160320_200652987.jpg

Welding up the legs:

IMG_20160322_112656353_HDR.jpg

Welding on the top:

IMG_20160322_132100281_HDR.jpg

Welding on some bits and pieces:

IMG_20160322_141704760.jpg

Welding on more bits and pieces:

IMG_20160322_150141779_HDR.jpg

And FINISHED!

IMG_20160322_163332724.jpg

The bits and pieces have become a tool rack, an upsetting block, and a tool tray á la Hofi.

And here it is with the anvil:

IMG_20160322_170552953.jpg

The anvil wedges in pretty tight, although it doesn't sit particularly flat. I've got a 1/8" wooden shim under one corner to keep it from wobbling. I suspect that the silicone will probably work well.

A pyramid (from Greek: πυραμίς pyramis)[1][2] is a structure whose outer surfaces are triangular and converge to a single point at the top, making the shape roughly a pyramid in the geometric sense.

A pyramid's design, with the majority of the weight closer to the ground,[3] and with the pyramidion on top means that less material higher up on the pyramid will be pushing down from above. This distribution of weight allowed early civilizations to create stable monumental structures.

Pyramids have been built by civilizations in many parts of the world. For thousands of years, the largest structures on Earth were pyramids.

JHCC...You've got yourself a heck of a stand. (A pyramid structured base - One of the strongest structures known to man)

As Daswulf said...That's a beast!!!!

Thanks for taking us on your journey! Awesome!      (Paint that baby (Legs) red / white / blue...LOL)

Do you know the total weight?

I'm guessing between 75 and 100 lbs, maybe more. I'll let you know once I get a new battery for my bathroom scale!

By the way, this is the view of the back, showing the joint between the two legs and the mounting tubes for the work tray (which, by the way, came from a collapsible steering wheel shaft; the tray is made from flattened-out black pipe and a steering linkage).

IMG_20160322_170644236.jpg

14 hours ago, Bhutton said:

Do you know the total weight?

Okay, my initial estimate was off by a LOT. It actually weighs about the same as my anvil, which is marked as 148 lbs (note the equal distances from the fulcrum).

IMG_20160323_122542355.jpg

And here's a better view of the upsetting block, showing a slight concavity ground smooth over the sweet spot.

IMG_20160323_123214616_HDR.jpg