I Forge Iron

A few quick projects

Made a large tanto-ish blade from 5160 and had two smaller blades in need of a heat treat.  Took a while to thaw out the olive oil but ever so much nicer to work with compared to old ATF.  Wife had half a jug that had turned a little rancid on her so I ended up with it  :)   Youngest has a winter survival/ quinzy  (hollowed out snow pile shelter)  day so flogged a quick tripod and  trammel hook to boil tea/hot choco on. Maybe I'll get lucky and sell it there and won't have to bring it home.  Not quite happy with how the tripod sits.  Loop may be a little big.  The Trammel hook is definitely to big and heavy for the tripod.  May make another slightly shorter lighter one, but at least it will work and we can camp in style for the day.  

DSC02562.thumb.JPG.4c4c922c0e9f503b240abDSC02563.thumb.JPG.1a4dff7dff22f499f2e70DSC02564.thumb.JPG.4ab5b0a121db1a632800c

yeppers Aus.  took it to work and used the torch there took maybe 2 /12" out  of the circumference.  could still be a little smaller but  does sit ever so much nicer.   Been a real cluster at work other wise I just might have a shorter trammel hook .  Go with what I have and see guess

I do my tripods with separate elements: Two rods with a U on top and one with an O; that way they pack flat and can be used as a tripod or pound the two Us in and put the O across the top to make a cowboy cook set that you hang multiple pots off off, (bean pot/oatmeal, coffee, etc...).

Well that was a very long line of text!     I used to have a vet that would trade pet work for ironwork and he wanted a *LARGE* tripod to support a 5 gallon cast iron bean pot.  As I recall I made it from 5/8" Sq stock: tops the same way; but for the ground ends I bent 8" or so out  and flattened 6" of it and ended with a forged spike that was bent down.  So you interlaced the tops, then stepped on the flat section driving the spike into the dirt making a tripod that would hold 100 pounds of pot/food without the legs skittering out or sinking down in soft soil.  It wouldn't convert to the cowboy cook set but it was for a dedicated use set up and he was happy with the results; my ex-tomcat was not...

On 2/4/2016 at 0:49 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I do my tripods with separate elements: Two rods with a U on top and one with an O; that way they pack flat and can be used as a tripod or pound the two Us in and put the O across the top to make a cowboy cook set that you hang multiple pots off off, (bean pot/oatmeal, coffee, etc...).

I like the idea of the separate elements. Thank you