I Forge Iron

Need ventilation advice- lungs hurt

1 hour ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Cardinal,

Glenn.. Steve ,Charles , myself and others just want to see your 3017th post on IFI just to compare it to your first to check your progress..  We rag on ya cause we care. Be safe. 

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Tough love- thanks Jim!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Cardinal Knife said:

My oven doesn't sound like a rocketship and heat up my kitchen 20 degrees in a matter of 15 minutes.  It also is rated for indoor use and has more precision burners designed not to asphyxiate you.

Naturally, sounding like a rocket ship would of course automatically make it more dangerous.  

Just to make things clear: hurting lungs is not a symptom of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning (headache is one of the first symptoms). Carbon dioxide (CO2) asphyxiation is possible, sort of, but in the very unlikely case you managed to accumulate that much, your forge would be producing truly lethal levels of CO due to the low O2 levels. I've used mine for longer with less ventilation (tho always with my CO detector). Your symptoms sound much more like asthma than anything else (i.e. the allergy thing others have noted). Asphyxiation symptoms clear up very fast.

I'm not even an armchair doctor.

Hello Cardinal as others have said its unlikely your problem is the gas forge and if it was you could eliminate it by moving it near the door or outside. Maybe you are creating some sort of dust when forging, I would be hosing the cement floor and checking if the vibration are not sending down dust from the rafters etc. A while ago I had lung irritation caused by forging on a rusty anvil, just a thought good luck finding the problem.

I get breathing problems just sweeping out the chook run if things are dry. What chooks leave on the floor is high in ammonia. Perhaps there is some residual matter left by the previous residents of your 'coupe' and you are breathing the dust. Just a thought.

>ausfire- Had to google "chook" - def. Aussie slang for chicken.

I was skeptical at first that this was allergy related because I have spent time in there before with no issues, but am starting to think Glenn and the rest of you may be correct that the propane fumes and stirring of air may be kicking up some unwanted airbornes.

I don't know what to do at this point other than wear a respirator and move the forge outside.  I have two active children and a 45 hour/week job so it's not like I do this daily.  I wear vapor/gas respirators at work all the time and wouldn't have a problem wearing one for couple hours straight need be.  

Is there a sticky somewhere here on IFI in regards to forge safety, I checked the gas forge forum and didn't see anything.   I really dropped the ball on researching this upon purchasing my forge.  I was so excited when I got it home I just fired it up with total disregard to my safety.  At my age I should know better by now.

I have a metal two level shop cart ( like automotive snap-on style).  What's your guys thoughts on putting the forge on top and the tank on the bottom so I could wheel the assembly out the door?  Safe- Unsafe??

It sounds like a sensitivity to the coup. Get to doctor and then soak the place top to bottom with a bleach mix to help kill mold and bacteria.  This stuff can get more acute with prolonged exposure. Chicken coups are nasty places even after years empty. Turbine roof vent also pull a lot of air.

26 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I built my forge stand from an old propane grill stand---it has wheels and a place to store the bottle. I yanked the grill out and bolted a piece of sheetmetal across where it used to go and then bolted the propane forge onto the sheet metal.

Thanks Thomas

Another thought is dust or fumes in the shop are burning or being super heated in or around the forge making something new you're sensitive to. I love the smell of pipe tobacco and used to love the smell of a fresh pack of smokes, it's only after you light them the fumes become toxic. X-smoker I know but I don't preach, just saying.

I wouldn't do anything that makes you sick in a few minutes or hours. A propane forge can not only produce large amounts of CO it also produces various nitrogen oxide compounds and if it's humid possibly nitric acid and our lungs are pretty wet on the inside, NO?

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a good point Frosty we all think of base chemicals but rarely think of what they become when burnt, usually bad ,I use to like the pipe and have kept all my old pipes maybe when I reach 90 I will take it back up 

You lungs are effected by not just you are doing at the moment but what they have had to endure in the past. I can tell CO2 within 10 mins. of walking in a shop or other building, I can't breath correctly and my chest aches.  I've never smoked but most of my life I worked in the auto trades where it was common to run engines inside without decent Ventilation plus 30 yrs. fighting fires long before SBCAs came along.   With the picture you show there shouldn't be this breathing problem from lack of ventilation.  Get detectors just for safety sake they are cheap protection.  Most of us only get one set of lungs we need to protect them.

You asked about roof vents not a bad idea, I have them the full length on 2 shops enough so when it is snowing and the wind blows I can get snowed on inside.  I will agree with the folks who encourage a real good disinfecting of the coop, everywhere top to bottom.  You should be smelling the LP if you have leaks in the line or connection in my experience but a good water & soap test would give a peace of mind. 

Good luck, I would work outside till you get things sorted out. 

That is a nice building.  If dust is suspected I would empty it and get in there with a pressure washer wearing some cheap foul weather gear.  Start at the top an work your way down.  Most pressure washers have a suction tube for cleaning products, not a bad idea on this one.  Let it dry for a week or two.  If that doesn't do it think about encapsulation by spray painting the interior using an airless sprayer.  Home Depot has some cheapo ones that are easy to use and cheap.  First do a coat of Kilz sealer, then a couple coats of paint.  If the slab is suspected it can be cleaned and sealed with epoxy sealer.  I have had to do this after bad tenants when nothing else would get the animal smell out.

With the heat rising and air currents moving in the shed it could be possible to disturb areas that weren't cleaned very well. I would visit a Doc and you might want to read up on histoplasmosis (sp?). when talking about spores, they can hang around for a very long time and can be very resistant to normal cleaning methods. 

25 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Keeping chickens in a car isn't particularly revolutionary!

I saw a woman driving with 5 chickens setting in the back window, couldn't see what else she had in  there.  That I thought was revolutionary I at least used chicken crates when I  moved them.

the farm 005resizedsmalllll.jpg

This pic was taken 4 years ago before we built our house.  House now sits where the photo is taken from.  

This whole mess has me sketched out so I'm thinking of moving the operation to another building.  The unrestored chix coop sits on the left, garage barn far right will work good but the doors are difficult to open in the winter.  The corn crib center rear would also work, lot of wood in there though, and if it goes up in flames it's gonna take my large horse barn with it.  The little well house in the foreground center is now gone.  The carriage type building far right rear has some friends boats and stuff in it.

Cardinal. I have had to use a professional HAZMAT group to clean pigeon feces out of an old warehouse that we converted into a boat shop. This stuff can kill. Pressure wash and disinfect. Then shoot with cheapo paint to make sure. Keep the space just make it safe. Great space with good light. Use athe least an N'95 mask or better when u wash.  You don't have the build-up I was dealing with so you should be fine to DIY it.