I Forge Iron

How to practice without a forge

I am completely new to smithing, (is that the correct term?) anyway, I was wondering a way to practice without a forge or heat source. I was thinking making a tight packed aluminum mild of some sort and using this for hammering. My mom has a kiln that she doesn't use anymore, but she will never let me use this. I have a soldering iron, could this help somehow?

The Kiln reaches 1700' so it wouldn't be of much use anyway

Take a minute and add your location to your profile. You might be amazed how many members are near by. Building a forge isn't all that hard to do. All you really need are some basic tools like a drill and a wrench and  you can get started.

Heck, use of a shovel and a large hammer or block of iron for an anvil would get ya started. A lot of third world forges are made out of clay hearths or trenches with a way to get air in it.

They're not nearly as fun to use, but they work. I started a few years ago, using a small trench in the ground, between a couple of cinderblocks with dirt piled over it and a hairdryer blowing air through a bit of pipe, duct taped to the dryer. First brake rotor forge was a big upgrade.