I Forge Iron

two strange things

the two pieces I found were in a woods for a very long time there was trash and all sorts of thing on top of them so my thoughts are that its an old dumping sight. The piece that is a very odd shape has no pitting even though I had to take my knife and cut through tree roots and move other trash the metal has no pitting and I mean no pitting anywhere and its been out here a long time so I think its wrought iron. Also there is a chisel thing on one end this is forge welded on and there are two eyes on this piece to that are forge welded.  I believe its a factory made piece off of an old bailer or implement. Another reason I think its iron is because looking at the sides its got almost a damaskus look to it but its very hard to see. The other thing is a what I think is an old wagon axel, the ends have a hand made nut that threads on and has a shoulder that looks like its to keep a wheel from moving too much also the ends were the wheel goes is tapered. It weighs about 20lb and has a bit of a bend in it also its kind of springy.  its also pitted I also included a pic of the nut were you can see a forge weld

IMG_1770[1].JPG

IMG_1769[1].JPG

IMG_1771[1].JPG

IMG_1773[1].JPG

Certainly an axle. If you clean it up a bit you may find a stamping on it somewhere. Often the numbers tell you the diameter of the wheel pin and its length. Don't know what the other thing is. You're probably right - part off an agricultural implement of some kind.

I'm not overly familiar with old wagons, but a stab in the dark.....the odd shaped gubbins......it wouldn't be a brake mechanism would it? I'm thinking pivot in the middle, foot plate on the end with the eye possibly acting with a latch as a parking brake....no?????

Looks like parts to a cart or buggy of some kind.  I don't think it went to a full blown wagon.  Smoothbore, I'm thinking it's gas welded.  That would date it between 1890ish to as late as the 40's.  I've got some rods that were on a building made around 1900, one of the eyes were gas welded. 

They are an interesting find, I'd like to know if they were wrought or steel.  That would go a long way to figuring out an age.