I Forge Iron

What would you do with these?

I Hope this works. I have never posted a picture before.

Anyhow, I was given 2 of these pieces of cast iron. They are just about 3 inches thick and about 3.5'X 3'.

I think they are counter weights off of a pump jack. 

I have no idea what to build with these. I would like to build something shop related as I am just starting to get set up for forging.

My only idea so far is to drill different sized holes near the top and then cut it so only half of the hole is on the work surface and maybe put some different radius and bevels in it.

Build a stand for it to stand it on end, kind of like a stand alone swage block?

Anyone have any other ideas?  

56a57c34da8e1_counterweight.thumb.jpg.2c

are you Sure ! its cast Iron have you ck = tested ?

one way to ck is with cutting torch if it cuts then its not cast iron & thats Better !

looks like cast steel hard to say from the pic though

if its cut able then you have some good stock supply

PS --- a lot of folks don't know one type of metal from the other !!!!

happens to me all the time -- well its steel on the phone then turns out its really Aluin

@ the shop  My  Rule #1 Bring to shop let me see it !! then I can tell How ? to deal with it !

Drilling and checking the swarf is probably easier than the cutting torch. Cast iron usually has a dusty swarf, often black from the carbon in cast iron, rather than the curly shavings of steel. A classic blacksmithing method was to chisel off a piece and try to forge it---this is mentioned in "The Arms of Krupp" when they were having "contests" on who could cast the largest cast steel ingot and one of Krupp's was accused of being cast iron so he cut a piece off it and forged it as proof it was steel.

While I am not 100% it is cast iron.

I drilled a small hole in it with a sharp bit and the shavings were very fine, powder almost. Similar to lathe/mill cuttings from cast Iron.

Does cast steel do this also? I hammered on it and it had the "thump" that I always thought was an indication of cast Iron with maybe 5% rebound.

These are heavy, was going to weight them just out of curiosity.

If it's not hardened steel no; it's the excess carbon---as graphite---in cast iron that makes it "dusty"  Steel even high carbon steel has much less carbon than cast iron (though some of the high alloy steels are up in that range only with lots of different carbide formers to tie it up as carbides.)