I Forge Iron

Quench buckets ALTERNATE!!

My oil quench tank is a 15 gl. grease barrel with a lid in a cut down 55gl. drum with a lid. I only have about 6gl. of used fryer oil in the barrel, having that much barrel before the oil makes flare ups minimal burning oil that deep in a steel well just can't draft well enough to burn well.

Water I keep in a garage sale soup pot close but not really easy to get to. I only use water to keep things cool enough to handle or isolate heat. I don't quench steel unless I WANT to harden it.

I'd like to find a long narrow rubber watering tub for a slack tub. Long water makes it a LOT easier to cool odd shaped things or weird positions, say you want to tweak a bend a 4' long bar but leave the center as is. It's just easier to lay a piece flat and lower it into the water than try dipping it straight. Heck maybe you want to cool 3' but your bucket is only 1' deep. Of course dippers and watering cans are fair, heck they're essential. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, rthibeau said:

what did you say??

I use a 15 gal SS beer keg for the water quench tank, a 7.5 gal barrel with lid for oil quench, but this time of year I usually use the snow bank in front of the shop...:P

don't you have a long snow bank up there Frosty ???

Not this winter, nor the last. We have maybe, MAYBE 3" accumulation and it's 37f right now. El Nino years. <sigh>

It's my fault actually, we bought a new pickup in 11 and a brand spanking new Western snow plow to go with. I used it the first winter, some the second, twice last and once this winter.

Frosty The Lucky.

wow....here in northern Michigan lower peninsula we got/had over 3 feet of snow.....deeper where it piles up from the snowblower

I can emphasize, a few years ago the wife finally let me buy a snowblower and it sat for a long while before it snowed enough to use it.

Deb's from the UP and when she married me she was concerned about winters in Alaska only to discover she'd get at least two snowfalls a year with more than our yearly average. Longer dark hours in winter, icier roads and city slicker transient drivers at highway speeds.

At least this plow is easy to hookup and drop and makes a decent yard ornament. Deb's snow blower has set under a tarp for going on 20 years now.

Frosty The Lucky.