I Forge Iron

'Infallible' cast sword

Michael Cochran

While looking for new projects to try at the anvil I clicked on several a links looking at all sorts of pictures when I stumbled on this link on a different forum. http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-general/swordmaker-instructed-dreams-recreates-infallible-sacred-swords-legend-005080

normally I don't read garbage like this but it made for a good chuckle so I thought I'd share.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The maker was a used car salesman who has a truly gullible and ignorant interviewer. Everything he says is either puffery or he's delusional, possibly psychotic. He's probably just letting fly at the interviewer, right now China is in a "wild west" phase of advancing itself and claiming things like divine or extra terrestrial secret instruction is no surprise. Used car salesman hindered by no rules. Remember he made a fortune at a used car dealership. A FORTUNE! Oooooh.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed that. 

I think I'm gonna try to cast me some of those swords and then when I'm done I'll cut through a hand forged sword since apparently forged swords are inferior to cast lol. I just wonder how hard it would be for me to get enough meteorite material to do it.

what do you guys think about the daily polishing melting and drawing aluminum to the surface making it resist rusting?

Oh ye of little faith! Frosty, he just has to be wealthy how else would he be able to afford such an old

"collectable" mobile phone? And as for the rest of you , Did you miss the bit where he was 'guided' by celestial beings? ;)

See all you need is LSD and imagination and 'anything' is possible!

32 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I just wonder how hard it would be for me to get enough meteorite material to do it.

what do you guys think about the daily polishing melting and drawing aluminum to the surface making it resist rusting?

You can't, modern man just dosnt know how it is done. Duh! 

Better get a rubbing. 

That was quite the hype and absurdity. I know what I need to do now to get top dollar for whatever I sell. I'll make up a fantastic story and post it online. Everything on the internet Must be true! 

His smelting the meteorite is a good one too.  interesting how on the one hand he states we cant all know everything, in his comments about any of us wanna-be nay-sayers. then he goes on to state HE does know everything, well enough to know his way is special... hmmm and where did the Aluminium come from in the first place? more magic?

15 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

I doubt I could ever rub it enough enough to heat it enough to melt any metal. I especially couldn't do it every day for years on end.

That's what make his swords "invaluable" lol.  Yeah lots of fantasy there. 

Did I miss a GOOD story? All I saw was a guy buying expensive steel, grinding infallible blades and telling silly fantasy stories to a talking head with a word processor.

Maybe if a 8 year old told that story I'd list it as a good one.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Nobody Special said:

They split rocks, rocks!

That's nothing, I have two different kinds of rock in reach I can cut with a fingernail. A sharp rap with a plastic ruler will cut or split either easily.

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

That's nothing, I have two different kinds of rock in reach I can cut with a fingernail. A sharp rap with a plastic ruler will cut or split either easily.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow frosty musta taken you quite a few years of rubbing to get all the pores in your fingernails full of aluminum to get em there!!

Several internal inconsistencies:  like You can't stop in the middle of making it; yet he has an attic full of unfinished ones...

I liked the shot of him grinding in open top sandals...

Also the number of meteors that hit the earth is fairly stable over the last millions of years and in fact the number recovered has had a massive increase with the Antarctic ice field finds.

At least he doesn't speak about the "vibrations" making his blades better; though my metallurgist friends will be quiet interested in getting changes at temps produced by hand rubbing steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!!

I know I am a bit late in getting to this..had some emergency eye surgery thanks to some misguided yard work...so I am playing catch up...

Oh Please!!  I hate to say this cause it sounds so arrogant..however I have probably forged more blades out of meteoric/extra-terrestrial materials than anyone else alive today..It's a bit of a PITA but it's not all THAT bad to do..I even wrote about it in book I which was what 29 years or so ago??

Swords that flex 60 degrees?? ow..most of my rapiers can go close to 90 degrees and return to true...

All I can say is this guy is either a snake oil salesman or he saw a real Rube in the author and decided to play him for a foo... Rubbing a sword blade to improve its structure and function?? Oh come on...

Geeze what some folks will believe..

JPH  (Last time I rubbed ANYTHING that hard I wound up needing glasses)

4 hours ago, bigfootnampa said:

Wow!  I didn't expect to find out that my fellow smiths are such pitiful rubbers!  I've changed lotsa steel by rubbing it!  I especially have great results when rubbing with my 40 grit ceramic belts!  I've even burned alarming amounts of good steel by rubbing too fast!  

I guess that makes you a real Rubber Baron doesn't it. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

On 2/8/2016 at 3:58 PM, MarcyOHH said:

Couldn't you chafe your sword rubbing it like that?

Not if you can bring the Aluminum up you won't! 

Doing my catch up reading on the forums and I just had to reply to this. I must have read the article four times, and the posts in this thread another four times. 

I couldn't stop laughing. Thank you all i needed a good laugh today. 

On 2/8/2016 at 11:58 AM, MarcyOHH said:

Couldn't you chafe your sword rubbing it like that?

Thank you Marcy, I need practice not saying inappropriate things, you know how I LOVE a straight line and this one is a DOOSEY. After due consideration, much deliberation and many deletes I submit this response for the forum's consideration.

Stop when it's covered in scabbards.

Frosty The Lucky.