I Forge Iron

turbine and stack

following in friend michael's footsteps, I found this turbine sitting undamaged on the metal recycling bin at work.

i had been planning on using 10" pipe for a flue, but will now use 12" :).  I will hang this 2' above the roofline (my forge is in a space between the house and the garage, covered with corrugated plastic roofing; the area above my forge is corrugated galvanized).

do most people use single wall or double wall pipe for flue stacks?

image.jpeg

gotcha.  i mostly use coke, though i'll be using more coal as soon as i get this up to learn how to use it well.

any thoughts on single vs. double-wall?  going through a corrugated steel roof, any worries about pipe heat with single wall?

Funny thing I've never worried about my all steel shop catching fire; especially with chimneys that are merely warm to the touch by the time they get up to the roof.

On the other hand I've bought a number of anvils for the difference in costs between single wall and double or triple.  Now the caveats: my shop is not attached to my residence and so insurance issues do not control what I do.  I also have 10" flues and a 10' walls with a higher peak.  The details really make such a difference!

I would think single wall pipe would be fine. I use 10" round galvanized. Using an infrared thermometer my hood ( a 55gal.barrel with the bottom 1/3 cut off)  can get up around 5-600 degrees F at the base ( if I remember right) I know the galvy pipe only gets up around 80 degrees F, and that's less then a foot up past the barrel. 

I've been on house fire investigations where the fire started in triple wall chimneys.  (I've heard of others but have not worked the scene) Both cases they were venting fireplaces in chase ways.  When we took the pipes apart each time the inner wall had collapsed and blocked the flue causing the heat to burn through the joints into the chase ways made of wood.  Just how hot a forge flue gets I don't know but before I decided on a brick chimney I had intended to use triple wall and certainly not because I had extra money!   

Forge flues tend to run *much* cooler than woodstove flues; they also do not build up creosote if used for coal, coke or charcoal exclusively.  The do fall prey to rust as the coal based fuels exhaust and water is acidic and charcoal ash and water is basic and both attack steel!  I put on a stainless pipe on the bottom leg of my house's woodstove mainly because I love the temper colours that it creates on the pipe. 

• 3 months later...

I just installed a turbine vent as a forge chimney, and so far I deem it a success. First fire yesterday took a little coaxing to get things started up the flue, but once it warmed up it drew just fine. So far I have 7.5' of 12" vent pipe under the roof terminating about 1' above the forge. On the top there's just the turbine base and turbine. I plan to add another 3' of stack to the top side of the roof, but even at its reduced elevation it worked well.