I Forge Iron

Auction finds

Nick O

I bought this forge and forge blower on a action for blacksmithing tools. The forge pan came with a forge blower (the very rusty one) the forge also came with the belt wheel. The belt wheel was attached but after about 2hrs and some elbow grease I got it off. The rusty blower is powered by a belt but is rusted bad I think the props on the fan are rusted bad to. And the blower is broken in several places. I'm missing the gear pieces but that don't matter none to me. The blower doesn't have bearings but has babit same with the belt wheel, so im thinking its late 1800s to early 1900s.  I bough the forge because I need a bigger pan for my shop im building. Im going to take the other blower and make it so that it will work for the forge pan some how or another. None of the items I bought have names on them but the good blower has keep filled with oil to the pug written on it other than that there just numbers and letters on the blower.  

IMG_1755[1].JPG

IMG_1756[1].JPG

IMG_1757[1].JPG

IMG_1758[1].JPG

IMG_1760[1].JPG

IMG_1761[1].JPG

15 minutes ago, matto said:

I have that forge all put together if you need pics.  The hand crank looks like a tiger which is the econo line of canedy Otto.

thanks for the offer and you do mean the good blower right

Not to be a jargon cop but it really helps calling parts by the correct name when looking for them. What you're calling a propeller or prop is an "impeller" Occasionally called a "fan."

You don't want to have to try describing things at a counter or on the phone where your hand gestures don't do any good do you?

Frosty The Lucky.

15 hours ago, matto said:

I have that forge all put together if you need pics.  The hand crank looks like a tiger which is the econo line of canedy Otto.

I am interested in seeing those pictures as well. I love seeing how people make beautiful forges out of what looks like rusty scrap pieces. This will be a good comparison picture. Thanks

I found " the bad one" at our local scrap yard, but was missing the wheels or gears. Whatever you call them Frosty:D I brought it home anyways- only costed a couple dollars. Not sure if I can put it back to use somehow Evan though I don't have the "wheels".sorry frosty for the bad terminology;)

Littleblacksith 

image.thumb.jpeg.6907c263b8fb6c8f2192a72this one is like yours the stand was a cast stand.

image.thumb.jpeg.3ca517aaa24c1b0b2b51fee These two are tiger blowers which is a economic line for canedy ottoimage.thumb.jpeg.d51ad32fe61e99d48d1d2fefirst one has been gone through and painted second one has been cleaned out of all mouse and mud dobber nest and is freed and spins well.  Still need to clean it up.

i forgot to get a pic of the pump handle forge and blower  

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Not to be a jargon cop but it really helps calling parts by the correct name when looking for them. What you're calling a propeller or prop is an "impeller" Occasionally called a "fan."

You don't want to have to try describing things at a counter or on the phone where your hand gestures don't do any good do you?

Frosty The Lucky.

that's just what some smiths I know call it but for now on I will call it what it needs to be called

1 hour ago, matto said:

image.thumb.jpeg.6907c263b8fb6c8f2192a72this one is like yours the stand was a cast stand.

image.thumb.jpeg.3ca517aaa24c1b0b2b51fee These two are tiger blowers which is a economic line for canedy ottoimage.thumb.jpeg.d51ad32fe61e99d48d1d2fefirst one has been gone through and painted second one has been cleaned out of all mouse and mud dobber nest and is freed and spins well.  Still need to clean it up.

i forgot to get a pic of the pump handle forge and blower  

thanks for the pictures and the info

I just rebuilt that same forge although mine didn't come with a firepot so I made one out of a brake rotor.  Here are some pics from the Canedy Otto No. 8 catalog.  It is a Chicago Forge No. 152.  The parts numbers should match.  There should be a 477 & 476 on the side of each blower.

Chicago Forge1.jpg

Chicago Forge2.jpg