I Forge Iron

Show Me Your Hooks!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the simplest work can be inspirational in some way or another. I've found inspiration in others failures. And my own. Even if it's a learning experience of how not to do something or a vision of something completely different. 

Here's one out of a rail road spike, along with a door pull ( handle)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

13 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Even the simplest work can be inspirational in some way or another. I've found inspiration in others failures. And my own. Even if it's a learning experience of how not to do something or a vision of something completely different. 

Here's one out of a rail road spike, along with a door pull ( handle)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those are beauts! I can see it with a bell hung from it on top of an old English pub door.

3 minutes ago, Forging Carver said:

That's really nice! The brass brush coloring on the hook part was a nice touch. I think that was a brass brush you used. Is the back plate made from a larger one of those texturing tools, or a cross pein?

Not brass brushing...heat coloring.  Back plate done with a top fuller used like a hammer.  The only difference between it and a straight pein is the size and shape  of the pein.  

2 hours ago, MrDarkNebulah said:

Did you use an oven to do the heating? I know I read somewhere on this site you can use one to get a more even colouring. Does that work? If so or if not, how did you get it?

I just use a hand held propane torch, however, I have been doing it for 25 years so I have become pretty adept at it.

16 hours ago, ausfire said:

Posted this some time ago I think, but here's another hook idea. Horse guy wanted it to hang a whip on the wall of his stable.

whip holder2.jpg

I think this is really nice.  I hope you don't mind my making a suggestion.  I think the re-bar you used really comes across as rope and I'd love to see you explore that direction.  Leave the bottom section hook ends blunt as if they were cut rope and at the top form some sort of lariat. Go full Cowboy.  My sister would eat that up!